• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We got the guitar thread how about musical storytellers

3sloppydogs

Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
so we all have our guitar heros. They are all great even though you might not like the genre you still admire them.
For instance I am no hendrix fan,never have been.
But great guitarists might not be story tellers and vice versa. So my favorites in no order
John Hiatt
He has written some of the best stuff and other people make it a hit
Jimmy Buffett
Some of the best stories to song ever told
Gorden lightfoot
Bob Dylan
What can you say that hasn't been said
Some of mine, who are yours?

Kirk Hammet-Metallica

Eddy Van Halen-Van Halen

Steve “steamin” Clark-Def Leppard

Randy Roads-Quiet Riot/Ozzy Osborne

Easy... for me, it's Harry Chapin.
1663978393573.png

Guitar players that tell a great story?

Jerry Reed
Johnny Cash
Charlie Daniels

But just flat out great guitarist I replied to in another similar thread in the last day or two.

Kirk Hammett if I had to choose one.

But there are about 50 of them that I feel are in 2nd place. Lot of amazing guitar talent out there. Pick your flavor I say.

Who's the Edmond Fitzgerald dude??
Now that's a storyteller....especially if you live by the great lakes! :thumbsup:

Oh I see you already got covered lol.

Jimmy Webb wrote some good ones... The Highwayman and Wicheta Lineman

My favorite of ALL TIME tho is Jimmie Rodgers, In the Jailhouse Now....as there is a version of that song very special to me.

Last edited:
We're not in the guitar player thread now, gents. Focus, please....storytellers!
My contribution:
croce.jpg
(That's the late great Jim Croce' in case you were wondering...)

I hate to say it but as a guy that played prog/jazz fusion/metal stuff most of "my guys" weren't known for their storytelling.

BUT! That doesn't mean I haven't been moved or influenced by those that were......

Hank Sr.
Dylan
Cash
Taj Majal
Robert Johnson
Elmore James
Gram Parsons
Lou Reed & John Cale(Velvet Underground)
Willie Nelson
Bob Seeger
Woody Guthrie
Buck and Merle--shout out to the 'Dale! (Spent my fair share of time behind Trout's...God Bless Chester Ave LOLL!!)

Who's the Edmond Fitzgerald dude??
Now that's a storyteller....especially if you live by the great lakes! :thumbsup:

Oh I see you already got covered lol.
Gordon Lightfoot. I believe that song is a true story IIRC.

20EC78E2-F5CE-46ED-95D0-86533432620D.png

After a small local show by Arlo many moons ago I had to wonder if it was a music show or a comedy story act. My jaw was actually hurting from laughing so darn hard. Guthrie had many family members within his group including his daughter. “After I mentioned my arrest for littering all the killers, father rapers and degenerates all moved back towards me” Alice’s Restaurant.

Another impossible task to nail down a short list, so besides Arlo Guthrie I’ll add Curtis Mayfield for his storytelling, guitar work and standout voice.

To get paralyzed at a show in a freak accident didn’t delete his determination to continue to put out music. His album in 1996, his last which I didn’t know until now, called “New World Order” has songs that are in my opinion outstanding. It was told that Curtis sang while laying flat on a board.

From back in the day, I remember, that the guy/gal standing next to you was just someone you had something in common with or not but then you just moved on.

Holy cow, how could I forget one of the best who ever lived?
OIP.jpg
RIP T.P.
The songwriting and stories just flowed through him....

Step up to the bar and let me tell you a tale . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back