• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Weiand 440 (RB) six bbl cross ram intake. P3690981

Status
Not open for further replies.

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
I know that there are a couple on Ebay, but they are overpriced and have not sold.
I have the dual plane Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake on my V-code 70 Roadrunner now, and I am going to use it with its Promax modded Holley carbs now and on my future stroker motor.
Modifying my current intake, like with the "Vanke mod" is a possibility. Using an Indy ModMan intake, for around $400 brand new, is another option for me.
BUT
I have seen this Weiand 6bbl cross ram intake setup EXACTLY the way I DREAM of doing one day, by F&B, with 3 2bbl throttle plates and direct port injection EFI, which eliminates the fuel atomization issues inherent in the design of the intake, and that only leaves WOW.
For those unfamiliar with the Weiand intake I would like to find a "deal" on, here it is:
index.jpg

And here it is the way I would make it:
Screenshot_20190621-135157_Chrome.jpg

The guy who had F&B do this is on the For A-Bodies Only forum, and I have exchanged conversations with him. He has it setup to flow about 1800 CFM on a stroker RB, but he hasn't run it yet.
Anyway, if someone wants to make my Mopar dream come true, at a generously discounted price on the intake, let me know.

I hope you are not disappointed by my reply as I don't have one for sale - I'd rather buy one for myself ;)
Have you thought about a different injector placement? If I had one of those intake manifold I would place the injectors horizontally at the beginning of the runners (just below the plenum). Supposedly the ideal distance between intake valve and injector is around 12-14" (according to David Vizard) - most injectors are too close to the valve which results in poorer performance (compared to a carb) as there is not enough time for the sprayed fuel to fully evaporate..

Not disappointed at all! I welcome comments. The unit pictured was setup by F&B, and this is what they do.
Is the short length of most intake manifolds' runners the reason why they are practically ALL designed with injector bosses at the valve end of the runner?
If so, there are a LOT of intakes with less than ideal injector placement!
Also, would horizontal placement of the injectors also be less than ideal? If so, that may be less desirable than the vertical placement closer to the valve.
What I DEFINITELY can tell you is that I would LOVE to have a setup like this, and I CAN'T WAIT to hear from the guy on the For A-Bodies Only forum once he finally gets his RB stroker motor running with this intake!

Maybe we should open a new thread for the discussion on the topic but for now: the injector placement is certainly less than ideal on most manifolds but the reason why they are placed on the valve end is very simple - packaging. Almost all manifolds don't allow any other placement or the rail would hit the throttle linkage and/or other parts. Horizontal or vertical spray pattern doesn't matter as long as you get the intercept angle right: parallel being best and angle up to 45° is considered acceptable.
My ideal concept would be the following: Weiand Six pack intake, horizontal EFI injectors at runner entry as well as injectors (vertical) at runner exit (16 injectors total). Software would move duty cycle bias from exit injectors to upper injectors with increasing rpm. That way you could use smaller injectors (better atomization and less off time which gives a more homogeneous mixture).

That is a relatively tall intake, my dad has one. You’ll be hood shopping if you go that route. The one with the throttle bodies on it looks cut down or something.

That is a very tall intake, my dad has one. You’ll be hood shopping if you go that route.

Not saying you are wrong but I remember reading somewhere that it should fit original six pack cars without hood modifications. Also throttle bodies need less space than carbs.

Not saying you are wrong but I remember reading somewhere that it should fit original six pack cars without hood modifications. Also throttle bodies need less space than carbs.

Yea, they’ll fit an A12 car without an air cleaner ( I think). Sure isn’t going under a 70 roadrunner hood.

BCA5C646-B195-4AD7-B136-7F323DF2671E.jpeg

That is a relatively tall intake, my dad has one. You’ll be hood shopping if you go that route. The one with the throttle bodies on it looks cut down or something.
Definitely not cut down, but the throttle bodies may make it appear shorter.
A 69 1/2 six bbl hood would do the trick.
Thanks guys.

Yea, they’ll fit an A12 car without an air cleaner ( I think). Sure isn’t going under a 70 roadrunner hood.

View attachment 789699
Interesting picture. I see what looks like the 2 outboard carbs vacuum pods on a factory style Holley carb trio. I am thinking, but not sure, that the Direct Connection Holley carbs with mechanical linkage and each having an accelerator pump were recommended??? I've read so much lately, I could be confused...

My buddy has a real nice intake. he wants 1200 for it

Last edited:
Interesting picture. I see what looks like the 2 outboard carbs vacuum pods on a factory style Holley carb trio. I am thinking, but not sure, that the Direct Connection Holley carbs with mechanical linkage and each having an accelerator pump were recommended??? I've read so much lately, I could be confused...

Either or will work. I had to do a lot of work to get the mechanicals happy on the big motor. That was with a stock intake though. 800-1200 seems to be the going rate for those intakes. I wouldn’t expect to find one much cheaper. The mechanicals are also going for 800+ for a decent set. You already have nice vacuum carbs and intake, I’d build the motor and start with that. I think you’ll be surprised at the amount of power you’ll have with a properly built 500 cube motor. It’ll be plenty for a stick car without a roll bar.

You already have nice vacuum carbs and intake, I’d build the motor and start with that. I think you’ll be surprised at the amount of power you’ll have with a properly built 500 cube motor. It’ll be plenty for a stick car without a roll bar.
I agree. I have already seen a number of stroker RB engines topped off with the Edelbrock/Chrysler 6bbl intake and Holley carbs in the 6XX HP and torque range.
I'm not saying that I wouldn't experiment with my Promax modded Holley carbs and the mods called for on the Weiand P3690982 intake for the heck of it. As a matter of fact, one Weiand P3690982 with the correct 6bbl mods already done is on Ebay right now, but I can't bring myself to spend the asking price....
$1,675:eek::rolleyes::fool:
Screenshot_20190627-212628_eBay.jpg

As you can see, the "dams" are already in place.
My goal would be the F&B EFI/DPI/TB setup like the pictures show, like the A-Bodies Only guy did.
THAT would HAVE TO be the epitome of performance capabilities of that intake.

I called my friend left a message waiting for his response. Then I will forward all his info to you.

I hope this is a,l you expect. That is one sweet intake. If I’d have known they existed I would have hunted one down for my six pack too. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back