• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WEIGHT 1962 BELVEDERE

FLY 9999

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
I looked in the NHRA specs for the weight of '62 Belvedere with 413 3179 and a 383 is lighter yet. Is this a good weight or a factory/NHRA wink wink weight? That big body weights less than a '69 Dart 440?

The 62/63 were the lightest of the B bodies. Don't quote me but I believe the Plymouths were lighter that the Dodges those years.

I'm not certain about the big block cars, but my 1965 Belvedere I (2 door post car) slant six automatic weighs 3200 lbs (actual curb weight).

I have an opportunity for a 62 and the 69. Knowing how the Dart is very tight with headers and 111 wheelbase the 62 seems to be a better build. Just need to be certain of the weight before a make a choice.

Advertised weights are just that advertised. My sons 62 4 door weighs just over 3500 w/o driver. 360, manual steering, manual aluminum master, factory FMJ disc, Dana, fiberglass leaf springs, Cal Tracks, 6 point roll bar, aluminum radiator, aluminum intake, 75 mm turbo, 4" single exhaust. Some of these add a little weight, others are lighter than stock. All other parts on the car would be factory weight. Most street trim B Bodys are 3500-3700 w/o driver. Not that you can't get lighter if you are creative. My 64 Belvedere is all steel except the hood. It has a Mega block, fire system, full interior except back seat, Dana. It weighs 3120 empty.
Doug

FB_IMG_1510062002136.jpg FB_IMG_1467732999733.jpg

My all steel 62savoy (original /6) 2dr, is just under 3300lbs without driver, 440/727/8.75. Aluminum intake, iron water pump, large starter, big block Cordoba radiator. Fiberglass buckets light wheels, no back seat, but 8pt bar. That doesn't include 3 1/2 exhaust to the back bumper with giant flowmeter truck mufflers (headers back must weigh almost 100lbs.) This car is almost 450lbs lighter than my 440 /727 /60 runner. The runner is stock.

I F-ING hate auto-correct , f lowmaster mufflers. (F'ing auto-correct won't even let me correct the correction! !!)

I F-ING hate auto-correct , f lowmaster mufflers. (F'ing auto-correct won't even let me correct the correction! !!)

No worries I hear the flowmeters are 10 times better than flowmasters any way.

those nhra weights are shipping weights. not exactly sure but think the weight numbers were factory derived for the shippers and were probably fudged to save money. getting an all steel big block early b-body below 3400lbs is doable but maybe not easy; especially if the car is to be driven.

We started of with a stock 62 Stage II 4 speed car, then switched to auto
then a package arrived freight collect! and we had to write - "don't touch it's aluminum" on the fenders
Did you know there is a place in Santa Fe Springs that can remove "rust" from your body
we had a full cage by then- which was essentially the frame...
stock
yeah right.
I always wanted to get a Dart Wagon and stretch the wheelbase to Dodge size and paint like the Dodge wagon stocker
silhouette would be about the same but narrower and lighter sorta how we built one of our Javelins
took an AMX and stretched the front end to Javelin Wheelbase about a foot)
Allowed us to drop the motor down (and back)
had those big bold Red White and BLue vertical Stripes for paint
had a big round magnetic number
ran the #1 Javelin through tec
changed numbers to number 2
ran it through again
put the paperwork and number 2 number on the amx
let's go find those Mustangs and Camaros
It handled SO NICE and you could get on it much earlier...

Auto Transport Service
Back