• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight of K member, dressed engine, and transmission?

fesser

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Having recently taken the 440/727 and K member with front suspension and steering gear, I am amazed at how light my 68 Coronet feels (pushing it, not lifting it). I intend to install the whole package from underneath when I am ready, and because I plan to build a cart, I got to wondering what that whole assembly weighs. Anybody have any estimates or real-life weights?

Under a thousand pounds, but not by much.

I built a cheap cart with a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight and a bunch of cut-up
2 X 6's to put mine in. Installed it in 30 minutes by myself. No problem.
20221003_150018.jpg
20221003_163258.jpg
20221003_163919.jpg
20221003_170140.jpg
20221003_170213.jpg
20221003_204704.jpg

I expected to hear a lot higher numbers. Thought the dressed engine was about 675, and the K member with suspension stuff seems really heavy, plus trans.

Zyzzyx, those pictures are very helpful. Thanks. I am hoping to reinstall the k member with the suspension and steering parts on it, but maybe it would be better to just get the engine and trans up in there first.

670 lbs for the engine, 160 lbs for the transmission, say 55 lbs for the k frame, another 75 lbs each side for the uca, lca, spindle, brake etc, you're at 1,035 lbs. I'm going by the feel of the k frame and suspension/brake components from when I did mine but I reckon I would be close.

Just make sure you don't tighten down the LCA nuts until you have the weight of the car on the ground
and your ride height set close. You don't want to twist the rubber/steel bushings too far out of their neutral
position! I did alot of looking at posts here until I felt comfortable with doing it this way. Easy, and no scratches!

Thanks everyone. Heavy enough to be careful with.

670 lbs for the engine, 160 lbs for the transmission, say 55 lbs for the k frame, another 75 lbs each side for the uca, lca, spindle, brake etc, you're at 1,035 lbs. I'm going by the feel of the k frame and suspension/brake components from when I did mine but I reckon I would be close.

K weight 1.JPG

K weight 2.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back