• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird Fuel Gauge Issue

louser151

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
on my '66 Coronet Wagon, the fuel gauge does the typical only show half a tank when full, I changed to a solid state limiter from RTE, and installed a new fuel gauge which states to use a solid state limiter. Now I turn the key on and the gauge runs to full, then backs off and pulses like the test light when a guy tests for current. Any ideas? is my new limiter bad? I put a new tank, new sending unit, and new fuel line in.

Last edited:
Did you test the tank sending unit ?
I haven't done any testing yet, this was late last night and now i'm at work and cant stop thinking about it. the old fuel gauge "worked" as it would show half a tank at full and go down from there, so i believe the sending unit to be working to an extent. I just don't understand why the new gauge would pulse

Even though the RTE limiters are solid state, I believe that they pulse like the originals. A solid state gauge designed for steady voltage would pulse. New sending units are often inaccurate, which would explain the half full gauge reading.

Even though the RTE limiters are solid state, I believe that they pulse like the originals. A solid state gauge designed for steady voltage would pulse. New sending units are often inaccurate, which would explain the half full gauge reading.
The old gauge went to half, I installed the new gauge, now it just pulses back and forth.

Install the stock gauge, and test it by grounding the sender wire briefly. The gauge should read full, while doing this. If it does, it is faulty sending unit or a poorly grounded one. As I mentioned, reproduction sending units are not the best.

If you have a short piece of rubber hose that connects the sending unit to the main fuel line, you need a metal ground strap (jumper) installed to complete the circuit.

Try adding a temporary jumper wire from sending unit in tank to aknown clean ground, clean you gauge !

Auto Transport Service
Back