• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weird problem with hesitation/miss 72 Sat 440

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
ok, so... 72 satellite, 440 / 850 demon double pumper, MSD red box and distributor..

car runs great until.. I get on it hard, then it never recovers?

if I drive from cold start, runs perfect, can driver for hours.. runs prefect.. hammer on it, and it starts with a hesitation / miss under LIGHT acceleration, does fine if i go 1/4 throttle or more. will continue to do this until i leave it sit over night, then fine again.. WTH.. fuel press stays on 7 lbs, temp good, oil pressure good .. what am I missing ?

Possible crap in the carb getting pulled into a jet. Stays there while running and drops to the bowl bottom after sitting.

I would start with the carb. If it sat for a while, crappy gas could have gummed up the jets, float, etc. (?) Besides, that's the easiest place to start.

As above. Swap fuel filter, cut it open and look inside(if its steel). Full service of the carb and check float lvl.

He supposedly has 7 psi. fuel pressure.

He supposedly has 7 psi. fuel pressure.
Is that at idle or wot?
Weak pump can have good idle pressure
But most likely a float level, needle and seat or trash in carb.

finally pulled carb last night... I hate this new gas !! looked like some small clear gummy bears where living in there ! I little bit of trash, and 1 clogged port, now to finish cleaning and put it back on

finally pulled carb last night... I hate this new gas !! looked like some small clear gummy bears where living in there ! I little bit of trash, and 1 clogged port, now to finish cleaning and put it back on
Assume this fixed your problem? Just curious.

sorry,
yea, i guess it just turned out i got some bad gas ! after i got the gummy bears out of the carb, i went to a different gas station to get gas, cleared up

Are you running non-eth?

all i could get locally was 89 non eth., i had to go to 10% to get 93

Have you tried it on 89/90?

My 1969 440 with a mild cam does just fine.

I have to assume it's a 10.1:1 engine but I have no idea what the cam is other than is has just a bit of lope.

yea, i tried the 89 straight gas, lots of valve clatter / pinging

10:1 - 1

Auto Transport Service
Back