• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome Wagon - 69 Satellite

qcomkid

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
I am new to the Forum and looking to purchase my first classic, a 69 Satellite. I have located a 4 door with low miles, auto, 318, no a/c, ps or pb. Looking forward to learning more about all things B-Body!

I'm interested to know of anything in particular I should be looking at either mechanically or body structure with B-Bodies. I'm certainly prepared to deal with typical wear items but would appreciate the forum's expertise on any known weak spots with these models. I'm well aware of rust issues having seen Mopar's disintegrate in VT winters/road salt, etc. when I was a kid.

Thanks, Mark

istockphoto-517611164-612x612.jpg

Welcome from the left coast. Along with what you already know about, rust in panels, pay attention to the inner stuff too. Frame rails, rockers etc as those are structural. Attaching panels like floors and what hooks on to them are of course hit with rot too. Look at the front k-frame for problems. Cracks, bends, rot. The tubes where the lower control arms attach are a known potential problem area. Tubes get wallowed out, welds crack etc. Also where the strut rods attach. Not uncommon for the old rides to have been stunt driven by kids when parents were away. Might be a good idea to see a body shop to set up an appointment to have the car put on the frame rack, have targets put on and see if anything is amiss from its previous life. Body and structural are probably the most expensive part of repair work. If you are already sharp about that, no biggie. Otherwise you will be at someones mercy for repairs. The mechanical areas are easier to deal with. Suspension, brakes[ always a good idea to upgrade here], engine, wiring etc. Get yourself a factory repair manual. They can be had through various outlets. A must have. Don't waste your time and money on Chilton, Haynes etc.

Welcome to FBBO

Welcome from Alabama, just remember the better car you purchase, the less headaches.

Auto Transport Service
Back