• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding helmet

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
I have a Miller auto darkening helmet and it's just not protecting my eye as well as it did. It's fine for mig welding, but tig, not so much.

I want/need to get another helmet asap, and don't need one that has a grind mode, so anybody got a recommendation as what would suit my needs?

Well, I went got a Lincoln. Damn thing does everything and got a smokin' deal on it.

Well, I went got a Lincoln. Damn thing does everything and got a smokin' deal on it.

Great news 5.7Hemi . . . and how is it that you even answered your own question ? ! ? ! ? That's pretty amazing too ! ! ! ( smile )

Ahhh . . . you're just that GOOD ! ! !

Thanks, but it's more luck than anything.

Thanks, but it's more luck than anything.

That works too . . . but You've got a ton of smarts too . . . I'll be looking for more of your help on my Hemi install . . .

Can't wait for the day to hear that thing rumble ! ! !

Last edited:
You should just change your lense to a darker shade( unless that model has a dial to change the shade??). I had an auto darkening one from tractor supply. It started to change shades on it's own. sometimes it even turned off on me while I was welding.....that $HIT PASSED ME OFF. So I took it back.....this was probably 3 years after I bought it, and they gave me a New one...... I thought that was pretty good. It was the battery in the first one that took a crap.

Shielding your eyes from A Tungsten arc is like the blast from a jet engine compared to a fire cracker.

Tig welding requires a fast change shield. Mig is much less demanding. A Lincoln Shield if not a Home Depot variety is a must. A good quality shield is around 175.00 and worth every penny. If your not going to spend this to protect your eyes then your opening yourself to major radiation. Also a leather Welders jacket with neck "thyroid protection is a must have. Also don't grind your stylus witha mix use grinder, grinding a 2% Percent Thoriated stylus is a major lung cancer risk without wearing a respirator.

The Miller was just old, and I did replace the shield last year, at least the kids will have something to wear now when I mig. The new Lincoln was 250, but the place I always go to get welding supplies made me DEAL that I could not pass up. I got for 147 out the door and it does have a grinding mode on it. This bad boy is all digital, huge viewing area,(which I need for my "Cyclops" self) and they gave me an extra year warranty on top of the factory 2yr. warranty.

I don't have a welding jacket....yet, so a old thick jacket suffices for the time being. Also have a dedicated grinding stone on my grinder for the tungsten.

I have an old Jackson (not auto) with the flip up lens. it is the one and only I use for TIG. I have rebuilt the headgear several times over the years. I also have a 2x cheater lens in it for my old crappy eyes. I use a Miller auto for mig. just strike off with the tig and if the auto helmet is a little slow, you cannot see for 15 minutes. I also think that positioning and walking of the cup on the tig torch always makes a lot of shadows and the auto helmets cannot deal very well with this.
I have been welding for 47 years.
just my 2 cents
pt in tennessee

Last edited:
I have an old Jackson (not auto) with the flip up lens. it is the one and only I use for TIG. I have rebuilt the headgear several times over the years. I also have a 2x cheater lens in it for my old crappy eyes. I use a Miller auto for mig. just strike off with the tig and if the auto helmet is a little slow, you cannot see for 15 minutes. I also think that positioning and walking of the cup on the tig torch always makes a lot of shadows and the auto helmets cannot deal very well with this.
I have been welding for 47 years.
just my 2 cents
pt in tennessee
Pturner you know your stuff! I am still learning.

I hate to hijack this post (I was going to start a thread), but you guys sound like you know your welding. I'm converting my 70RR from auto to a 4 speed. I need to weld in the 4 speed hump and the bracket for the torque bar stud, to the frame. I have never welded before but am pretty mechanical. Is this something I can easily do? What type of welder do I need? What other equipment? Any idea what it would cost? Would I be better off just hiring a guy to come in and do those small welds for me. Again, sorry for hijacking the thread. Thanks.

You Jacker...just messing with ya.

Any 110 volt mig should be just fine. I wont go into detail on them, but get a gas one, don't use flux core wire, your welds will look like pigeon sh!t.

:sad2: Sorry 5.7 ..........just kidding LOL

Any 110 volt mig should be just fine. I wont go into detail on them, but get a gas one, don't use flux core wire, your welds will look like pigeon sh!t.

Gasless fluxcore is fine. cheaper than buying a bottle. I use it all the time,even on body panels. You just need the right machine.I use a millermatic 210.

don`t skimp on safety equipment buy the best and you can never go wrong :headbang:

Auto Transport Service
Back