• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well I finally did it!!

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
I built a drivetrain dolly a few years ago to remove the drivetrain from my Bee and finally used it! Had to fab a body lifting jig to raise the body so here it is! And the drive train is out:thumbsup:
5DF293A7-9AE3-4D1A-BACD-EA6FF5EB61F0.jpeg
0F73E090-A51B-4627-B53F-D949079FA994.jpeg
B61EDE58-5065-4ECA-BC93-415D9A4BAE24.jpeg
A6303B28-4598-4085-B929-D845E1F479BC.jpeg
1744F8E9-DA01-433B-8950-E7B08B2CC70D.jpeg
218BDC2F-49EE-471D-8289-DEB7AF082DDE.jpeg
1B137C04-415D-43A5-A0A3-C7F2359A5F0B.jpeg
0703D573-7021-46D9-BCC2-DAEC2939D840.jpeg

Thats cool.. But not sure I would lift it like that with the rearend supported on jack stands.. Maybe safe but thats a tip over point.

Thats cool.. But not sure I would lift it like that with the rearend supported on jack stands.. Maybe safe but thats a tip over point.

Oh yea I went back and checked them stands at least 5 times during the whole lift never budged a bit.

The rear bumper was about 6” off the floor so don’t
think it would have cleared without the stands

Looks fine to me. As long as the cherry picker rolls easily it ain't goin nowhere. Plus it's not very far off the ground.

There are always those who will find fault. But your device looks well made and solid and it worked.

There are always those who will find fault. But your device looks well made and solid and it worked.
I was not finding fault. I was finding something I thought looked unsafe. I wouldnt jack it up on jack stands then lift the front end.. Say what you will I'm not the only one who thinks that was not a safe way to jack the car up. However his body lift was spot on and I dig it.

I appreciate all the concern with the jack stands I was well aware of that being a tipping point. I wasn’t and had no intention of being under the car at any time during the lift. When I do the next lift I plan to use timbers under the wheels with wood chocks fastened to them in front and behind the tires.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what could happen. If your a real dipshit you can get hurt in a bathtub full of balloons. If he is lifting straight up and the picker is able to roll back and forth and no one is pushing the car sideways it is fine.Is it the right way? Ehh, but it worked.
The wheels are 3 inches off the ground.The axle is rotating in the cups of the stands. He unbolts the cradle and jacks it up. Unless his dog is sleeping under the rear bumper with his tail under the tire I see no issue if he takes his time and is careful.
He has no hoist and so he has improvised the best way he could. Good job

If anything is going to fail it's probably your seals in the cherry picker so you could build one of these if your worried about that,just clip it onto your ram.

Just for reference,I can raise my Rotary car hoist 20 inches off the ground before it hit the first safety latches

I see guys still swinging big blocks off those shitty plates that bolt to the carb flange onto an aluminum intake. Yikes! Point is, there are lots of ways to get hurt in a shop that you may not have even thought of yet and this is far from the worst of them.

picker lock.jpg

Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what could happen. If your a real dipshit you can get hurt in a bathtub full of balloons. If he is lifting straight up and the picker is able to roll back and forth and no one is pushing the car sideways it is fine.Is it the right way? Ehh, but it worked.
The wheels are 3 inches off the ground.The axle is rotating in the cups of the stands. He unbolts the cradle and jacks it up. Unless his dog is sleeping under the rear bumper with his tail under the tire I see no issue if he takes his time and is careful.

If anything is going to fail it's probably your seals in the cherry picker so you could build one of these if your worried about that,just clip it onto your ram.

Just for reference,I can raise my Rotary car hoist 20 inches off the ground before it hit the first safety latches

I see guys still swinging big blocks off those shitty plates that bolt to the carb flange onto an aluminum intake. Yikes! Point is, there are lots of ways to get hurt in a shop that you may not have even thought of yet and this is far from the worst of them.

View attachment 866658
I agree with all of the above. Really liked the bath tub full of balloons refrence.. LMAO.

View attachment 866658
Late to your post. I would never consider using a carb plate on a big block with an aluminum intake, maybe if I was standing in a bathtub full of balloons......maybe. I'm using us cartool lift tool. It bolts to the front bumper bracket holes on the frame rails.

I wouldn't worry about the jack stands... I done way sketchier stuff - remove the wheels and use jack stands on the torque boxes... didn't even need a cherry picker to lift the body. The fulcrum point of the body is right around the front spring hanger so you can pivot the body with one hand.

I wouldn't worry about the jack stands... I done way sketchier stuff - remove the wheels and use jack stands on the torque boxes... didn't even need a cherry picker to lift the body. The fulcrum point of the body is right around the front spring hanger so you can pivot the body with one hand.
Yeah, but would you recommend doing this ?

I've done it about a dozen times with no issues or worries... it was slightly un-nerving the initial time I did it - but wouldn't hesitate to do it that way again. If the cherry=picker method makes you feel better then obviously go with that - to me it's the same process except.

I've done it about a dozen times with no issues or worries... it was slightly un-nerving the initial time I did it - but wouldn't hesitate to do it that way again. If the cherry=picker method makes you feel better then obviously go with that - to me it's the same process except.
I have the front of the car on wheel dollies, the rear of the car is on jack stands. Do i put the rear wheels on the ground, and use jack stands on the torque boxes? Of, course I will have to take off the wheel dollies up front.

I removed the rear tires and used large "C" clamps on the frame rails the first time I did it just to keep the body from sliding rearward on the stands... ended up not needing them ---

Auto Transport Service
Back