• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

well, I found out what has happening to my ducks !

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
recently, I have had a couple of ducks go missing, or show signs of being attacked, put out traps, watched the water for signs of a turtle, walked out a few mins ago to see why pups where having a cow, and found this guy!

thats a standard shovel next to him !!

freakin HUGE
IMG_1935.jpg

Last edited:
sneaky f--ker
are they protected (?) or just pests ?

the ducks have a coop they go in at night, but free range in the pond during the day, too many bears to leave them out at night

They scare me and fascinate me at the same time. I"ll shorten a long story. When we were kids in Oklahoma these alligator snappers were quite common. When I was really little, the policeman that lived next door, emptied his revolver in the back of one. The next day the turtle crawled off.

We were lucky enough to be a member of the local country club that had a pool. As little kids, we had swimming lessons at 9:00 am. The club also had a golf course and the first tee was by the pool. So was a small lake. A giant snapper had made it from the pond to the pool overnight and was submerged in the shallow end. All of us kids were bouncing around on our toes in the shallow end until some noticed the Alligator Snapper.

When we were older we cornered a big *** turtle and were throwing rocks at it trying to kill it. Some ladies stopped and told us to stop doing that! It surprised us because as kids that's just what we thought you were supposed to do!? (Snakes too.)

If you kill the snapper and the ducks pick the shell clean, I want it.

Kind of like the alligator snapping turtles we have down here but with a smooth shell.
That is why I don't go noodling for catfish right there !

They scare me and fascinate me at the same time. I"ll shorten a long story. When we were kids in Oklahoma these alligator snappers were quite common. When I was really little, the policeman that lived next door, emptied his revolver in the back of one. The next day the turtle crawled off.

We were lucky enough to be a member of the local country club that had a pool. As little kids, we had swimming lessons at 9:00 am. The club also had a golf course and the first tee was by the pool. So was a small lake. A giant snapper had made it from the pond to the pool overnight and was submerged in the shallow end. All of us kids were bouncing around on our toes in the shallow end until some noticed the Alligator Snapper.

When we were older we cornered a big *** turtle and were throwing rocks at it trying to kill it. Some ladies stopped and told us to stop doing that! It surprised us because as kids that's just what we thought you were supposed to do!? (Snakes too.)

If you kill the snapper and the ducks pick the shell clean, I want it.
not much of the shell left, I dont see how annyone eats those nasty critters

Turtles.. and birds... have been on this planet millions of years. They were here long before us, they'll be here long after us.

Had a big one like that on one of my jobs over the summer…

FED2E2F5-AC6D-436D-B839-F0FA13D35CE9.jpeg

80F57120-D0F0-422D-8B87-54A849AB8052.jpeg

Rare for me to see it on a menu or anyplace that makes it - but I love turtle soup. Usually only see it while traveling out of the country. Asia or some island adventure.

I live on a medium sized urban lake that has a few of those uglies in it - seen them lumbering across the yard. Our duck population has gone way down over the last 14 years. We would see the mother ducks out with their new broods every spring and each day there would be one less until finally they were down to just one or two survivors. I would call it duck trolling. I’m sure it‘s a mixture of snapping turtles, big mouth bass, catfish and maybe alligator gar getting them

I was always a person that had a position that could affect people and things. It was strange because deep down, I'm a tender heart. I have most always lived by the water and still do. When a few of those were killing our ducks, there's one quick way to get rid of them. It involved a 12 gauge and a shovel. Say goodnight Irene.

I had a turtle poking his head out a little earlier today... I dropped him off at the pool..

I didn't know you had ducks and

I didn't know you were having issues and

I didn't know turtles attacked ducks.

Know what the reason is?

Auto Transport Service
Back