• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well that didn't go as planned

dvw

Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
My year so far has ben great, not yesterday. Went to the GLSSA race at Milan with high hopes. Not running index so the throttle was wide open. Didn't know what to expect with Milans history of track prep. Surprise, it was great. 1.27 60ft all day. Weather was crap but 9.18, 9.16 in time trials. Then, coolant on the windshield. Spitting from the overflow vent. Normally I'm a smart guy, not today. Thinking I just grabbed the water pump switch and turned it off by mistake after the run. Cool it off, over flow pulls the water back into the radiator, good to go. Rd 1 .013 light take the win, water spraying out. Oh, I guess I should have checked the pump fuse, blown. Coolant low as well, never checked it after the first failure, dumb. (did check it before any runs). Fill it up, fuse blows again. Pull the fans, radiator, and pump. Damn it. Spare pump is 1/4" longer, no bolts. Test 1st pump. Runs quiet and smooth. Through it back together for rd 2. Seems fine. Blows the fuse driving up to the lanes. Replace the fuse. Do the burnout with pump off. Pump on stage. Loose my concentration and watch my opponent leave. Crap tree is coming down, I guess at it, red. My day is done. Now to get it fixed to leave Thursday for NMCA Indy.
Doug

Been down that road before....and was your spare pump supposed to be an identical replacement?

Better to use circuit breakers on the fans and pump since the inductive load spikes can take a fuse out quick.

This thing has 600 passes. Never street driven. 15 amp fuse has never blown until now. I'll double check the wiring. Meziere says life expectancy is 2400 hrs. I will call them.
Doug

sorry to hear you had them issues
that's truly racing isn't it
luck has nothing to do with it
**** breaks or quits working & sometimes for the strangest reasons
no rime or reasoning

good luck next outing

Knowing your history, abilities
you'll have it all fixed by then

just curious
do you run all your electronics thru relays ?
it helps to stave off voltage spikes etc.

ground issues ?
seeking ground ?

Knowing you & your posts here, got your **** together
I'd bet you already have them routed thru relays
& both to a manual arming on/off switch too

Oh Bugger... I feel your pain and boy can I relate to that! My meziere pump did the same **** to me this past summer for 3 race days, change the fuse and good for a couple of races and then it would fail again. With mine, it was still under warranty (2 years) and they completely rebuilt it no charge.

Tough break but at least you're going again this weekend. Good luck!

sorry about the pump issues times look great you will have next time out. good luck

Radiator, fans, pump out, in, and back out tonight. Ran fine, 3 minutes back in the car, blown fuse. Ordered a new part fro Summit tonight. Leaving for Indy Thursday afternoon. Out of time, I'll mess with this one later.
Doug

This thing has 600 passes. Never street driven. 15 amp fuse has never blown until now. I'll double check the wiring. Meziere says life expectancy is 2400 hrs. I will call them.
Doug
When you fuse a circuit we used 125% of stall current of the device to insure there are no blown fuses. What Is your stall current rating on your pump? You wouldn't blow a fuse if running below 15 amps. But stall might exceed that.

When pump was new it drew 7 amps running hot. It's had a 15 amp fuse in it for 6 years. Even blows a 25 now. But it has to run a few minutes first. My bet us it has a short to ground in the armature winding that touch when it gets warm.
Doug

How about this....my Meziere Pump FAILED also this weekend at the first round of the Sunday summit race in Famoso. Didn't blow the fuse, just quit running. They said to send it back. Only 85 runs on the pump. they said to send it back for repair. I bought a Meizire because I didn't want to buy a cheaper Chinese pump that would fail. how about that.

New pump is in. Loaded and ready to leave for NMCA Indy tomorrow. By the way Meziere calls for a 20 amp fuse.
Doug

good luck to you. enjoy and have fun

Report: It wasn't my Meziere Pump that failed. It is in the wiring/switch somewhere. I will find the problem tomorrow. I just isolated the pump and wired it independently of all my car wiring and in car switch and pump works fine

Report: It wasn't my Meziere Pump that failed. It is in the wiring/switch somewhere. I will find the problem tomorrow. I just isolated the pump and wired it independently of all my car wiring and in car switch and pump works fine
---
Take a spare pump with you Mike. Mine did the same, I had even wired a light in the power wire leading from the relay to the pump. Sure enough, the light went out, pump quit, somewhere between the burnout box and the stripe. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Auto Transport Service
Back