• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wet Exhaust Holes

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
I believe that only the exhaust port holes on a big block that are into the water jacket are the outer holes - correct? Does this also apply to an early 361?

Correct, just assume all exhaust bolts need sealer. All the intake holes end up into the lifter valley area, so dry.

Still put sealant on the intake bolts so they don't weep oil

I've had heads that were only the outside bolt holes and I've had others that a couple of the center holes were. So just seal them all just to be safe.

Permatex #2 seals great and stays semi soft for easy removal at a later date if need be.
download (1).jpg

All I know for sure is that my 906 heads are all wet, and my 286 head have some dry, and some wet.
Simple solution, use sealer on all of em.

Sounds like I just need to pull all the bolts and seal them all. No one uses the ARP thread sealer for this application?

Sounds like I just need to pull all the bolts and seal them all. No one uses the ARP thread sealer for this application?

If it would be recommended for exhaust manifold bolts use it. If it's a thread locker I'd say no.

Many sealers have been used for these bolts/studs with success. (There's more than one thread on here about what others have used). Just don't use a silicone sealer.

Permatex #2 is older than me and has always worked well for these and other fasteners subjected to coolant or oil. $4 at your local parts store.

I haven't used the arp sealer, but would assume it's much like your everyday pipe thread sealant. I use the white tube permatex or similar

I haven't used the arp sealer, but would assume it's much like your everyday pipe thread sealant. I use the white tube permatex or similar
It’s pretty much like pipe dope but solvent resistant. I’ve used it before for engine applications and it works great.

Auto Transport Service
Back