• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We've owned the race car for a year but I guess I haven't driven it much

SteveSS

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
1970 GTO, it really a Tempest in disguise. It's a drag car with a Chevy 454. One racing seat, welded rear axle. Giant tires on the back.

I got in it last night. The exterior lights work fine, none on the interior. I was driving barefooted and my heal got really burnt. It is soooo loud inside the car, just kind of regular muscle car loud on the outside. Its got some kind of Hotchkiss suspension in the back that I don't understand. A ratcheting t-handle drag race shift that may be working right but I am using it wrong. No power steering with a little custom sparkly steering wheel. Doesn't have the rear window installed.

It doesn't seem to run well at all until you get the pedal 1/2 way down then it explodes with power. push it all the way down and an even bigger power explosion happens.

My son says if you floor it the mechanical fuel pump can't keep up. People think they've been in fast cars but until you've been in a fast, pure-race car it's a whole different experience.

giphy.gif

:D

I probably has Mopar parts on it too. It's about 5 different colors. My point was how uncomfortable a race car is. I love my Mopars and think of them being basic machines compared to today's cars. This car makes my Mopars feel like limos.

Last edited:
I probably has Mopar parts on it too. It's about 5 different colors. My point was how uncomfortable a race car is. I love my Mopars and think of them being basic machines compared to today's cars. This car makes my Mopars feel like limos.
then you obviously have never road in or driven a well tuned mopar mine will scar the sh-- out of you. but it soooooo much fun to lift the front wheels and feel it set back down that is a ROAD RUNNER beep beep

IMG_2341 (1).jpg
View attachment 813111
then you obviously have never road in or driven a well tuned mopar mine will scar the sh-- out of you. but it soooooo much fun to lift the front wheels and feel it set back down that is a ROAD RUNNER beep beep

Being in a car that can lift the front wheels in on my bucket list big time.View attachment 813111

I think it's all about how stripped and purpose-built this car is. I just not used to NO creature comforts.

Last edited:
driving a full on race car is actually not much fun at all,on the street.
i briefly owned a full on race duster and that car tached out at around 55mph...
and i lived out in the country...sooo,yeah.
absolutely a endurance grind to drive.

ended up trading that for a crewcab dodge squarenose pickup,
and then flipping the truck for a charger.
i miss the old days.

Auto Transport Service
Back