• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whaddya think ?

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Going through the numbers on my car I came across this part number on the tranny, PK2801543L 2469 1434. This looks to me to be the number for a 67-68 383. It is installed in my 71 440 RB HP.
Is it going to puke the first time I try to drive it ?
I am confused as to what tranny this is since the bellhousing numbers are 7543 in big letters.

Can anyone provide me with some guidance ?

The identification of your trans. is correct. How long it will last is impossible to predict. Way to many unknowns, to even make a guess.

Going through the numbers on my car I came across this part number on the tranny, PK2801543L 2469 1434. This looks to me to be the number for a 67-68 383. It is installed in my 71 440 RB HP.
Is it going to puke the first time I try to drive it ?
I am confused as to what tranny this is since the bellhousing numbers are 7543 in big letters.

Can anyone provide me with some guidance ?
Don't think there any major differences between 383 and 440 trans. Hemi trans gets a larger drum and another clutch plate.
If trans is in good shape no problem. MO

Big Blocks came with a 727 and never a 904. IIRC, the hi-po 440 trans also got the big drum to? I wouldn't worry about it unless it's not healthy to start with.....

Thank you so much for the help ! I was a bit worried that maybe it would be wrong for the application.

As far as HP trans goes. A standard 727 will hold up fine even behind a modified big block. Yeah the hemi versions had the extra beef but it takes a lot to blow a 727...like the guys said above if it's in good shape to begin with, no problem. As dumb kids we pulled a factory stock 727 out of a junkyard '68 Newport, put it behind a 480hp 440, and proceeded to beat the hell out of it. 2 years of driving later the rear band support broke, so at that point it got a rebuild...even then everything else inside was ok..I obviously don't recommend that, but you get the point:D

Auto Transport Service
Back