• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s being used on rear fender wells

1969 Superbee$$

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
I’m wondering what to paint the rear fender wells. Originally painted as rest of car (green). I’m wondering about a black undercoating similar to factory. Does anyone know of a quality black coating?

CCAF4584-D6CF-4BEF-A73D-D9EF36B9CB49.jpeg

That truck bedliner is terrible. I wouldn’t use it On my classic car. It’s a non slip coating for a truck bee, it’s very rough.
I bought a Car that has its terrible. Wouldn’t recommend it at all. And how to get it off? Undercoating comes off with gas, trans fluid or heat and scraping, not Bedliner.

I like this Resto Rick product. I’ve used it and it looks correct and it dries nice.
http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.php?prod=Undercoat

I've used Resto Rick's udercoating on my last 4 cars and have no complaints.

I’m wondering what to paint the rear fender wells. Originally painted as rest of car (green). I’m wondering about a black undercoating similar to factory. Does anyone know of a quality black coating?

View attachment 1244618
welcome to FBBO

maybe you can go to the welcome wagon forum section here
share a couple of photos,
share some back story,
or whatever you feel comfortable with
& introduce yourself 1st

good luck with the wheel well paint

That truck bedliner is terrible. I wouldn’t use it On my classic car. It’s a non slip coating for a truck bee, it’s very rough.
I bought a Car that has its terrible. Wouldn’t recommend it at all. And how to get it off? Undercoating comes off with gas, trans fluid or heat and scraping, not Bedliner.

I like this Resto Rick product. I’ve used it and it looks correct and it dries nice.

Rick sells it by the gallon, what is the coverage like? I am trying to figure out how much I will need.

It goes a long way. You could do all 4 wheel wells easily.

Rick sells it by the gallon, what is the coverage like? I am trying to figure out how much I will need.
On a B body I use 3 gallons in the front fender area and rear wheelwells. If doing the inner quarters inside the trunk, then the total is 4 gallons. I put on 5-6 coats or so to get good coverage.

On a B body I use 3 gallons in the front fender area and rear wheelwells. If doing the inner quarters inside the trunk, then the total is 4 gallons. I put on 5-6 coats or so to get good coverage.
Wow... That seems like a lot, but then I look at how thick the factory undercoating is/was on my GTX.

I painted the whole bottom of my Charger fenders and all with 2 part Urethane bed liner and will use it on every car I do from here on out. The one thing you're failing to mention is not all bed liners are the same nor are the spray methods. My 2019 Ram has a spray in bed liner.. absolutely love it but I wouldn't even consider it for undercoating my car. The one in my truck is extremely hard and very rough, perfect for the truck, the one under my car is a lot smoother with some texture and more rubbery. As far as removal goes, I can remove it quicker and in a cleaner fashion than the original undercoating hands down. I did a T56 swap where I had to modify the trans hump, sanded it off like any other urethane with no need for scrubbing residue.

Point is know your bed liner types and test a few products. I used SEM on dad's truck and Xtreme liner on the Charger, all these years later and not a single chip.

Last edited:
The Resto Rick product is the closest you can get to the factory finish. It takes multiple coats to get the texture to the OEM look. I use 2 gallons to do the 4 wheel wells and overspray details.

Application Tip: Take a picture of the area after application with your flash on. The paint will reflect through if the coverage is not adequate. Repeat until desired coverage is attained.

D

Auto Transport Service
Back