• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the best wax you guys are using?

70ChargerRT

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Well my brother is getting closer to wet sanding, buffing and waxing my car. What’s the best wax you guys are using? I’ll probably end up ceramic coating it in the end and I also need to call Roger Gibson and see if I can ceramic coat over this new Organosol since they made the switch to PPG Deltron.

Give this stuff a shot. What have you got to lose?

brighto_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I’ve been using McGuires ceramic wax for a couple of years. Probably not the absolute best to connoisseurs but seems to work very well, shines good and pretty durable. Easily available.

I use Giot garage wax. I like the best of show wax the best. I did us the ceramic wax on my pick up and it has a great shine

Mine gets a hand wax with turtle wax cleaner/wax once , maybe twice a year.

Any other times its a simple spray detailer. and Ive tried a bunch of them . ( problem with black cars, they show EVERYTHING )
Best one to date is the Jay Leno brand. Sprays out nice, and it doesn't leave the streaks Ive got with some others

I still have 2 unopened tins & 1 open I still use of
(gotta be 20 years) the ol' Turtle Wax, Kanuba-based wax
still works great, water beads of still
wax on, wax off

my cars are under shelter or in the garage always, when not driven
so I don't need to wax much

I have tried several things over the years, and decided it depends a little on what I am working on.
90's era: I used McGuire's Gold Class for a lot of stuff for a lot of years. Goes on super easy, takes some elbow grease though to really buff it out. lasted a couple months of sitting outside in WI in the summer, so I thought that was pretty good.
Older stuff with older paint I still use carnauba. Turtle still makes a really good product, back in the 80's we used Rain Dance in a tin, stuff seemed to last forever but I doubt that company is the same after 40 years. I have used Mother's carnauba also, it's fine, prefer Turtle. Mothers is easier to apply IMO.

My '13 Charger is all black, and I go through local gas station's car wash. I do NOT get the fancy shmancy premium bonus chemical wash, just a basic wash. I know the owner, he adds enough soap/chemical/acid to the wash water it cuts EVERYTHING off really well. Something about factory black paint on this car, I have tried to wax it a couple times and can;t even tell if it sticks, plus even without the water beads. not sure if the dealer or factory put something on when it was new or what. car is ten years old, lives in garage, but has gone through ten WI winters with basically no paint maint. besides auto wash and looks almost brand new yet. I did have the thing exterior/interior detailed when it was 3 years old. Maybe they put a fancy coating on then?
So I am not sure what I would use on a new, modern paint job even on an old car. new paints might just be different then old paints and take to products differently.

I like the Chemical Guys products.

Griot's Best of Show Wax after using their clay bar.

I used the whole system from Zaino Bros. right down to the 100% cotton towels. I don't know what it is but it sure is different. You can use it in direct sunlight. I used it on an original paint 1969 Corvette and its picture is still on their website.

1686586737877.png

3M Imperial hand glaze. I like it because you can touch the car and it doesn't leave finger prints afterwards.

Auto Transport Service
Back