• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a thin veneer!

68gtxman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
You lose power for 24 hours or more, and then you realize how thin is the veneer of civilization that we actually live in. It’s all fun and games until the lights go out. We got hit yesterday with a 100+ MPH wind shear event yesterday and the lights went out. Since our neighborhood only has 33 homes, we are last on the reconnect list. We have a generator, but it was acting up since the lights first went out. Every 10 or 15 minutes it would shut itself down. Finally got it working well today. The regular power came back just an hour ago. We took it for granted until we lost it. Appreciate everything you have folks! You don’t know when it will be gone.

Last edited:
Many folks believe once the well funded take over types dont need the social media networks. Going to take out power. Nothing off the table anymore.

I can't find the paper with a quick google search, but there was a study about how quickly people will descend into anarchy when food and water is in short to no supply. It stated that no matter your religious or personal beliefs, financial situation or laws that within 7-10 days people will revert to any means necessary to find/take what they need. Truly a thin veneer!

I can't find the paper with a quick google search, but there was a study about how quickly people will descend into anarchy when food and water is in short to no supply. It stated that no matter your religious or personal beliefs, financial situation or laws that within 7-10 days people will revert to any means necessary to find/take what they need. Truly a thin veneer!
I suppose that all depends on what the veneer is anchored to.
Not too worried about it here. Plenty of food, if that runs out I can kill and clean and harvest more. If water runs out, I know how to shag it from several upstream sources. Ammo stock full, the cars never get below 3/4 tank.
If some shithead tries to aggress against me and mine, he will die.
Again, not really worried.

Our civilization exists in a house of cards. It was never secure, although the countless masses who sleep soundly in the lie would never know it...

I suppose that all depends on what the veneer is anchored to.
Not too worried about it here. Plenty of food, if that runs out I can kill and clean and harvest more. If water runs out, I know how to shag it from several upstream sources. Ammo stock full, the cars never get below 3/4 tank.
If some shithead tries to aggress against me and mine, he will die.
Again, not really worried.
and there will just be more coming to take what they need. If you live way out in the middle of nowhere it will just take a while but they'll get there.....

This latest round of disturbance shows just how thin that veneer can be when something really bad happens. People go ballistic in a very short time. When they break they really break.

This latest round of disturbance shows just how thin that veneer can be when something really bad happens. People go ballistic in a very short time. When they break they really break.
certain sects, demographics & select age groups of people do

it's actually a small percentage of the world or the US
that sort to that stuff, immediately knee jerk reactions
instead of thinking **** thru

like an intelligent person would, not just for instant gratification
gotta' get me some now !! mentality

most of humanity, isn't like them above, going ballistic
majority they will stand together, reason & rebuild if need be,
just like our forefathers did, when pushed to have to

going ballistic & breaking
as apparent by the current/recent riots, looting, pillaging & burning
VIOLENCE vs peaceful protests, in like 37 large/largest inner-shitty's
funded by a bunch of agitators (paid anarchist) & certain select groups,
wanting discourse, mostly for power or political gains

like a petulant child, throwing a tantrum, until they get their binky

Last edited:
Every few years everyone in portions of FL lives without power for between a few days and a few weeks.

You get used to it.

2 weeks no power but 3 weeks no water was our longest.

No one killed anybody.

and there will just be more coming to take what they need. If you live way out in the middle of nowhere it will just take a while but they'll get there.....
I get it. That just means I'll have to take what I need as well.
Starting with their heads, then whatever possessions they have.

Auto Transport Service
Back