• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am I missing? Can't get dash power...

westie47

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
I've replaced all the wiring harnesses with either M&H or Evans harnesses. When I hook up the battery I get the oil and brake light on the dash but no dash lights, no heater fan, no interior lights and no ignition power. I do have headlights and tail lights, emergency flashers, turn signals (fender mounted and tail light), horn, wipers, and light on warning buzzer. Am I missing a ground someplace?

Every problem is a different circuit. Did you check all the fuses with a voltmeter or test light? Don't say they look good test them.

1st what year and car would help. Dash lights could be a bad dimmer switch.Did you check the bulk head plugs,pull apart and put them back together?

69 Coronet. All the switches and gauges were rebuilt/restored, tested. Ammeter was fireproofed.

I haven't tested them yet, I guess never assume new is good...
I have had more that one that fooled me. Plus if there is something wired wrong it might of poked them out. No ignition is odd because that is not on a fuse just a fuse link. With other things working the fuse link is good. Double check the wires on the ignition switch.

I have bought harnesses that had the wires in the wrong spot on the plugs so compare them to your old ones.

Have you checked that your dash frame and chassis is at the same potential? The dash frame needs to have a low resistance to ground if it’s been painted along with the C pillar it could be that the ground connection that is established with the bolts attaching the dash frame to the chassis is not good.

If you don't have power at the ignition switch you will not have a blower motor. Looks like part of the hot side of your fuse box is working but not the Accessory side. All power comes in and goes thru the main spice. Do you have power on the Red wire at the Ignition switch?

Hey can I butt in here for a moment and find out if you ever resolved the issue with your dash lights not working. This is an issue I have been trying to fix on my 67 rt that is kicking my butt.

Hey can I butt in here for a moment and find out if you ever resolved the issue with your dash lights not working. This is an issue I have been trying to fix on my 67 rt that is kicking my butt.
I haven't resolved the issue completely. Once I hooked up the licence plate light (last connection) the ignition switch started working. Temp and fuel gauge work. Horn, lights, brake light, light on warning buzzer, turn signal all work. Still no dash or interior lights.
I've been focusing on getting the car running and tuned then I'll start focusing on the dash again.

I haven't resolved the issue completely. Once I hooked up the licence plate light (last connection) the ignition switch started working. Temp and fuel gauge work. Horn, lights, brake light, light on warning buzzer, turn signal all work. Still no dash or interior lights.
I've been focusing on getting the car running and tuned then I'll start focusing on the dash again.
Yep I know how that works. I now have the dash out for the 3rd time this year and its not going back in until I find an answer. Let me know how you make out.

Hi I wanted to update you with the progress on my 67 R/T, but there isn't any. The dash is still out of the car and the only way to check dash light circuit is to plug it back in. The dash lights will work for a day or 2 then for no apparent reason start blowing the instrument fuse as soon as you turn the knob. The headlights will work but no dash lights as long as the rheostat stays off. All connections under the dash look good and they are good because from time-to-time, dash lights do work. There are no loose wires or rusty grounds and all connections are tight. Changing parts hasnt fixed it so wtf Mother Mopar enlighten me! Im getting old and I want my dash back in the car.

Last edited:
Hi I wanted to update you with my progress but there isn't any. The dash is still out of the car and the only way to check dash light circuit is to plug it back in. I have been looking for the source of the dash lights working for a day or 2 then for no apparent reason start blowing the instrument fuse as soon as you turn the knob. The headlights still work but no dash lights as long as rheostat stays all the way off. All connections under the dash look good and they are good because from time-to-time, dash lights do work. There are no loose wires or rusty grounds and all connections are tight. Changing parts hasnt fixed it so wtf Mother Mopar enlighten me!
you may have already mentioned it but what car are you working on?

67 Coronet r/t. Thanks for asking. I added it to the post.
Ok have you checked the round pins on the circuit board to be sure they are tight? They are notorious for working loose and causing intermittent connection. The fix is to get the appropriate size copper wire and insert it into the back of the hollow pin and then solder the pin and copper to the circuit board.

Auto Transport Service
Back