• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are my back seat side panels made off bakelite?

peakandscoot

Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1962 fury convertible and years ago some one cracked my panels in my back seat that wrap around my convertible carriage. They also cut a hole to install a speaker but the hydraulic piston was there. I want to repair
crack.jpg
hole.jpg
both but I cant tell what its made of its like a bakelite doesn't seem like plastic. What is it and what do I use to repair it. Fiberglass or some kind of epoxy. beside the cracks I have a 6X9 hole so I think I need to cut some sort of panel to close that hole. Any help appreciated.

I rebuilt my Ramcharger airbox using JB Weld Plastic Bonder and used spent rivet mandrels (and paperclips) to "stitch" the seams. Worked great.. bonus is the stuff is brown..

beerestorationfall2018 165.JPG beerestorationfall2018 167.JPG beerestorationfall2018 315.JPG beerestorationfall2018 368.JPG beerestorationfall2018 389.JPG beerestorationfall2018 617.JPG

I have a 1962 fury convertible and years ago some one cracked my panels in my back seat that wrap around my convertible carriage. They also cut a hole to install a speaker but the hydraulic piston was there. I want to repairView attachment 916294 View attachment 916295 both but I cant tell what its made of its like a bakelite doesn't seem like plastic. What is it and what do I use to repair it. Fiberglass or some kind of epoxy. beside the cracks I have a 6X9 hole so I think I need to cut some sort of panel to close that hole. Any help appreciated.
Probably plastic with years of ozone and atmosphere making it stiff& brittle.

The fibers make me think it's fiberglass reinforced plastic. If you're going to paint or dye it, I'd use epoxy resin and cloth. Marine supply stores usually carry 2 part epoxy resin kits.

its is originally just covered by vinyl. so what ever i do on the front side will need to be grind ed or sanded smooth. there is also 2 spots that hold screws for mounting so i wanted to make sure it was strong enough to hold that.

its is originally just covered by vinyl. so what ever i do on the front side will need to be grind ed or sanded smooth. there is also 2 spots that hold screws for mounting so i wanted to make sure it was strong enough to hold that.
Trust me, the JB and some stitching will make it strong enough. I replaced broken off attachment tabs that hold the box under the hood! If it's going to be covered with vinyl, with that big hole I'd just find something to use as a filler panel and bond it in. Place the panels outer face down on some wax paper and go to town with the JB weld on the back, then touch up the front to blend and smooth.

beerestorationfall2018 252.JPG beerestorationfall2018 278.JPG beerestorationfall2018 1471.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back