• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some rust spots to look for on a 1978 Magnum and just in general too.

StenTarvo

Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
Im buying a car and I want some photos that can show me what i'm buying so I would like to know what spots to ask for so that I can be more certain that i'm not getting ripped off.

Maybe post photos of what you are thinking of buying. And you just might get the responses required to guide you.

more info like where the car is from.

Maybe post photos of what you are thinking of buying. And you just might get the responses required to guide you.

more info like where the car is from.
upload_2021-6-9_10-54-16.png
upload_2021-6-9_10-54-30.png
upload_2021-6-9_10-55-5.png
upload_2021-6-9_10-54-55.png
upload_2021-6-9_10-54-43.png

It has the same platform as earlier B bodies so the same rust area issues, I found anyway .

Trunk, rear spring mounts and rails, front subframe bushing mount area, crossmember and torsion bar frame mount. Also check for rust in fender wells lower quarters and floorboards. Another thing to check is the rear upper shock mount. Lots of these have had air shocks bolted up to them over the years and that has a tendency to crack the upper shock mount area that was never intended to support the full weight of the car.

Trunk, rear spring mounts and rails, front subframe bushing mount area, crossmember and torsion bar frame mount. Also check for rust in fender wells lower quarters and floorboards. Another thing to check is the rear upper shock mount. Lots of these have had air shocks bolted up to them over the years and that has a tendency to crack the upper shock mount area that was never intended to support the full weight of the car.
THANK YOU!! This is what I needed.

Looks like a rolling nightmare to me. Pool noodles covering wires, extra gauges all over the place (why so many, maybe the wiring under the dash if F-ed up), looks like the wiring harness has been messed with under the hood, Accel coil (it'll fry and die soon enough) with universal wires that don't look to be routed anywhere close to correct, I'll bet it doesn't have any kick down linkage with the presumably way too big carb that's on it now and if it does it's not adjusted (I've never seen an aftermarket shifter that hooks up all those pieces right), the hoses don't even go to the heater (why is that bypassed - leak or lazy), the upper rad hose wasn't trimmed when it was put in (it's pushing back towards the air cleaner), all the A/C components are missing, no fan shroud (it'll run hot), missing a window crank on the passenger door (how do you loose that?). The more I look the more I see...

But on the bright side the body doesn't look bad in the pictures at least, it has rear defrost (and the 100amp alt to go with it), it has GT wheels and some other GT trim (is it a real GT?), dash doesn't look to be cracked, the rear bumper shows no sign of rust.

If the under side is solid and you're willing to do a lot of work to undo the aftermarket tsunami under the hood, then the asking price isn't out of line. If it's a real GT then it's worth it.

Looks like a rolling nightmare to me. Pool noodles covering wires, extra gauges all over the place (why so many, maybe the wiring under the dash if F-ed up), looks like the wiring harness has been messed with under the hood, Accel coil (it'll fry and die soon enough) with universal wires that don't look to be routed anywhere close to correct, I'll bet it doesn't have any kick down linkage with the presumably way too big carb that's on it now and if it does it's not adjusted (I've never seen an aftermarket shifter that hooks up all those pieces right), the hoses don't even go to the heater (why is that bypassed - leak or lazy), the upper rad hose wasn't trimmed when it was put in (it's pushing back towards the air cleaner), all the A/C components are missing, no fan shroud (it'll run hot), missing a window crank on the passenger door (how do you loose that?). The more I look the more I see...

But on the bright side the body doesn't look bad in the pictures at least, it has rear defrost (and the 100amp alt to go with it), it has GT wheels and some other GT trim (is it a real GT?), dash doesn't look to be cracked, the rear bumper shows no sign of rust.

If the under side is solid and you're willing to do a lot of work to undo the aftermarket tsunami under the hood, then the asking price isn't out of line. If it's a real GT then it's worth it.
Its a 360, im more worried about rusty body panels and frame over engine and wiring work as that is a lot easier to find parts for.

One other thing-why was the front clip replaced? The stub may be tweaked.
It also appears it has air shocks on it now.
All things mentioned aside from outward appearances it looks good and $4 is reasonable.

Bring a magnet to check for bondo on the lower quarter panels and fender extension right in front of the doors.

And get under the car and knock with your fist all along the frame rails to make sure there isn't any thin/soft spots.

Make sure to look inside of the trunk for rust.

Look up under the dash and watch out for sketchy patched together wiring.

Check the driver and passenger foot areas of the floor pan, because the carpet may be hiding giant rust holes.

Engine looks good from the outside, but you really have to make sure of how well it runs, be thankful that he removed all of the smog and vacuum crap from it.

$4000 is a steal and If I was in any position to buy another car I'd buy it based on the pictures alone, looks like a great driver.

5735DB3D-6566-446C-9F0A-C865A4D7D54F.png
10,000$ is over my budget, this car is $4000

Im just wondering where I should check.
Is this the magnum in Manitoba your talking about? $10,000 cdn is about $8200 Us. This car is nice. It is about 20 mins from where I live. Seen it years ago at a show. It’s virgin untouched. Just was driven from time to time. If I had more $$ I’d like to have it. I don’t believe there are any surprises with this car and keep in mind it’s an asking price only. It’s on kijiji under classics in Manitoba.

Auto Transport Service
Back