• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the correct bulbs for 70 Road Runner parking lights?

partsmonsta

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
What are the correct OEM bulbs for 70 Road Runner parking lights?
I know itza dumb question, but the internet is useless on this.

THANKS.

70 RR bulbs.JPG

I must be doing something wrong, the 1157s do not fit. These take a smaller bulb.

I had trouble with certain brand aftermarket bulbs not fitting in my 68 roadrunner recently FYI....they don't fit as good as old brass looking type

I don't know the sizing off hand, but get the amber glass type, not the crappy yellow painted ones.
Good point. That's why 1157NA was recommended, NA meaning 'natural amber' as in the bulb envelope is made from amber glass, rather than clear glass that's later dipped or painted to change colour. If you see 1157A, it's likely inferior.

Watch out for the newer crappy bulbs with silver bulb holders (mostly China junk)....do yourself a favor and find some older stock bulbs with the brass bulb holders. Many of the newer bulbs have fitment issues as noted. I can send you a couple for cost of postage. PM me if interested. Joe

I don't know the sizing off hand, but get the amber glass type, not the crappy yellow painted ones.
1157A are the original ones for Mopar 1969. Not sure about 1970. 1157NA have a different color. It's all about original appearance or not. Not about saving a buck or 2. I have 1157a for more than 15 years now. Still shine good.

1157A Chrysler 300 1969 low.jpg

P1000376.JPG

P1000369.JPG

Last edited:
1157A are the original ones for Mopar 1969. 1157NA have a different color. It's all about original appearance or not. Not about saving a buck or 2. I have 1157a for more than 15 years now. Still shine good.

View attachment 1470529

View attachment 1470537

View attachment 1470538

Have a look at the post above....1157NA is the correct lamp as I said - Amber, not the crappy painted yellow ones.

There ya go, and have a Red X while we're at it.

1157A are the original ones for Mopar 1969. Not sure about 1970. 1157NA have a different color. It's all about original appearance or not. Not about saving a buck or 2. I have 1157a for more than 15 years now. Still shine good.

View attachment 1470529

View attachment 1470537

View attachment 1470538
I saw that you had disagreed with my comment regarding 1157a vs. 1157na bulbs. I'm happy for you that your 1157a bulbs have lasted 15 years, but you are not correct in showing that they must have a different colour. For instance, I could show you an example of 1157na:
41WTIkAfA5L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

and a different 1157a:
1685232898716.png

which proves only that different manufacturers have slightly different colours, not that the na is always darker. In constant usage, the NA bulb will retain its colour longer, making them worth the extra price.

Have a look at the post above....1157NA is the correct lamp as I said - Amber, not the crappy painted yellow ones.

There ya go, and have a Red X while we're at it.

I saw that you had disagreed with my comment regarding 1157a vs. 1157na bulbs. I'm happy for you that your 1157a bulbs have lasted 15 years, but you are not correct in showing that they must have a different colour. For instance, I could show you an example of 1157na:
View attachment 1470999
and a different 1157a:
View attachment 1470998
which proves only that different manufacturers have slightly different colours, not that the na is always darker. In constant usage, the NA bulb will retain its colour longer, making them worth the extra price.
There are many color types of bulbs, from many brands, from different era's, different years and from different makes. I am not saying it's about the color only. It's about appearance. A painted bulb, especially a amberish-painted-dullish one has an other appearance then a bright glassed one. Especially when the light are on in the dark. Even if the color is more or less looks the same.

But oftenly more important appearance point is the originality of things: what is original or not. 'O, I see you have even the original bulbs installed, nice very nice'. Some people don't give a damn as long it is amber-ish.

Everyone can install what they want, but being on the high of 'scale of crapiness', is not the main determent to change to better, more modern, not original hardware when owning a classic car. It's classic for a reason: they don't build them anymore the way they did, with all the good things and flaws. Classic cars are mainly not possesed to improve them, but to restore, to conserve and last but don't least to cherish them. The exterior pressence is the main thing people notice, so that is most important offenly, even if it's just a bulb. A bulb is one of the cheapest parts of the exterior, but one of the most visible ones people notice.

So, just buy the bulbs that should be in your car according to factory specs, if you want to respect originality at the highest level. This may be a 1157, 1157A or 1157NA. It's not even clear alway if a 'A' is always a painted one... Sometimes it should be a 1034A of 1034NA, which have different qualities and use. Your owner's manual is a good place to start from and then go from there.

The painted bulbs (mind you buy the brass base ones!) are far more expensive, so if you can grab a few, well grab them now you can still buy them for a reasonable price, let's say in the $5 to $10 a piece range, if you are lucky. The ambered glassed ones will be on the planet for the next 1.000 years and normally don't have to cost more than $0,75 each.

Last edited:
1685307968279.png

I may have put two and two together and come up with seventeen. :lol: All BlackX - I thought it was a reference to the NZ National Rugby team - the All Blacks. :rolleyes: And when I saw you wrote Cheers (not commonly used outside NZ & Austraya) ....well....you know... :poke:

I also have a friend with a similar Charger and I thought it was him - he works on yachts in Europe part-time.

Auto Transport Service
Back