• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the differences between the 68 and 69 Superbee?

Bart K

69 Coronet more door.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
Is one year more desirable than the other? I may have a chance to obtain a 1 owner 68 silver with white interior 383 automatic car. It is not a sure thing, but if it happens, I would like the information. The car has been sitting for a number of years, so it will probably need every system checked and repaired. I am just trying to get an idea of what to pay for this car if it becomes available, and what it might be worth if restored. I am not flipping this car, if I can get it, it will be a keeper!

Quite a few differences actually, 69 are more desirable but I would love to get a 68, the tail lights are very cool.
68 have round side markers instead of rectangle. 1/4 stripe are two stripes instead of one solid with 1/4 stripe on both sides. No ramcharger in 68 but the standard super bee hood are the same. Grille are different. Seats are low back and later 69 you could get head rest. No 1/4 scoops or “wind catchers” in 68 as well. I always wanted a silver 68 with red stripes. The prices are pretty much the same unless you get a fully loaded 69 super bee

Like most cars, desire for one year or another is based on personal preference. 69's seem to be more desirable than 68's and therefore, bring more money. I personally love 68's - I had one and I also have a 69. As for value, for example I sold my 68 'Bee last summer (picture below.) It was in absolute pristine condition, 383 Magnum 727 Auto 3.55 Sure Grip for $30K and it lasted on eBay for less than 12 hours. It was sold to a guy who had to have it because he had one back in high school. Did I get more than it was worth? Did I not get enough? As always, value is an amount a given person will pay based on desire, emotion and of course, condition of the car itself. If you have pictures of the car in question, it would help members here give you an idea of what you might expect to pay...
20141005_143529.jpg

I believe the 68's were bench seat only, with the bucket option coming in 69?

I believe the 68's were bench seat only, with the bucket option coming in 69?

correct
also all 68 bee's are post cars
meaning the rear windows do not roll down.
i like 69's more (have a few) but i wouldn't kick a 68 out of the garage

Either, or, you can't go wrong. Great car, great style. I personally like the 68 as one of my favorite all-time designs.

I have seen a 68 super bee with buckets with no headrests but this could be incorrect. But I think hunt2elk is correct. 1968 super bees and road runners only came with bench. And 68 GTX is a higher trim level then the bee and bird.

And the ‘68 was the first one, very few real options on a ‘68. I could be predujiced though!

For me, the only real advantage of a 69 over a 68 is the 440 six pack engine and ramcharger options.....otherwise, it's personal preference, especially for 383 cars or Hemi cars.

Agreed. 68 was only available in coupe. 69 could be either coupe or hardtop.
68 was bench seat only. 69 buckets were optional. Headrests were optional until Jan 1,1969 when they became mandatory.
Rally dash was standard on all Superbees.

Silver with a white interior is a cool combo! Does it have the fender tag and/or build sheet? Condition? Complete? How original? Just need a cleanup? Lots of variables affecting the values.

As for more or less desirable it is a personal preference. Market wise i would say they are pretty close in value between the 2 years. Of course the A12 and Hemi cars are the most desirable models.

Like most cars, desire for one year or another is based on personal preference. 69's seem to be more desirable than 68's and therefore, bring more money. I personally love 68's - I had one and I also have a 69. As for value, for example I sold my 68 'Bee last summer (picture below.) It was in absolute pristine condition, 383 Magnum 727 Auto 3.55 Sure Grip for $30K and it lasted on eBay for less than 12 hours. It was sold to a guy who had to have it because he had one back in high school. Did I get more than it was worth? Did I not get enough? As always, value is an amount a given person will pay based on desire, emotion and of course, condition of the car itself. If you have pictures of the car in question, it would help members here give you an idea of what you might expect to pay...
View attachment 574554
Thanks for the info! The car belongs to a friend of a friend. My friend was offered the car 30 years ago for 3k and he is still kicking himself for not pulling the trigger back then. My buddy said he will work on getting me some pictures in the next few weeks, and once I get them, I will happily share them! I would love to have the car if that works out, but I do not want to pay a foolish price and get majorly upside down in the car.

Agreed. 68 was only available in coupe. 69 could be either coupe or hardtop.
68 was bench seat only. 69 buckets were optional. Headrests were optional until Jan 1,1969 when they became mandatory.
Rally dash was standard on all Superbees.

Silver with a white interior is a cool combo! Does it have the fender tag and/or build sheet? Condition? Complete? How original? Just need a cleanup? Lots of variables affecting the values.

As for more or less desirable it is a personal preference. Market wise i would say they are pretty close in value between the 2 years. Of course the A12 and Hemi cars are the most desirable models.
No clue on the fender tag, but I am thinking it will be there. The story is that the owner bought the car new with money he saved while in Vietnam. My buddy used to work with the owner and they have been friends for decades. My buddy days that the owner used to drive the car to work from time to time, but at some point the car was stolen. It was recovered a couple of weeks later with no damage, but the owner never drove it after that. It was stored inside for quite a while, then moved to a carport some time ago. My buddy says it still looks good, but he remembers seeing some rust starting around the windshield trim. This is a one owner car and it sounds like one of those stories you hear, but this one is actually true. I have been doing a lot of online searching and I cannot find a picture of a silver car let alone silver with white interior. Anyhow, we will see how it goes! Oh, I guess one of the first things the owner did after buying the car was to remove the bumble bee stripe, I guess he did not like it............for sure, I would put it back!!!

Last edited:
I would get thus car and keep it!

It's a real 68-70 which makes it in with the most beautiful cars ever made. And...
It's a one owner Super Bee! Enough said!

It won't Bee on the market for long.

Oh, I guess one of the first things the owner did after buying the car was to remove the bumble bee stripe, I guess he did not like it............for sure, I would put it back!!!

I had a 68 R/T that was coded "stripe delete" ......... this Bee could be the same?

I would get thus car and keep it!

It's a real 68-70 which makes it in with the most beautiful cars ever made. And...
It's a one owner Super Bee! Enough said!

It won't Bee on the market for long.
I agree! Actually the car is not on the market, my buddy just knows about the car and is going to ask the owner about it.

Both years are outstanding, but In my opinion any 69 Coronet hardtop is the most attractive of all the coronets, regardless of engine options.

Auto Transport Service
Back