• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are these 3 ign boxes and do I need them whit MSD???

Nismobishi

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a complete MSD Ignition system. What are the 3 boxes on my firewall and should they be removed since I have MSD? Please see the picture below.

20230330_140907.jpg

20230330_140732.jpg

20230330_140827.jpg

Three boxes from left to right: Ballast resistor, horn relay, and voltage regulator.

You can remove the ballast resistor and simply join the two wires from it together. I would keep the other two boxes as-is.

Thank you,
Is there any harm in leaving the ballast resistor as is?

Thank you,
The ballast resistor should have no bearing on the MSD.....it doesn't use it. Do you have the 'destructions' sheet on the MSD?

Unfortunately I do not. I put in the MSD about 20 years ago. I'm not sure why I left that ballast on there. Is it safe to leave it or should I connect the wires together?

Unfortunately I do not. I put in the MSD about 20 years ago. I'm not sure why I left that ballast on there. Is it safe to leave it or should I connect the wires together?
If it's been running like that for 20 years then I'd have to say it didn't hurt anything.....off the internet.....

A ballast resistor is not necessary with any MSD Series Ignition but can be left in-line if originally equipped. The MSD Blaster Coils and any other oil-filled, canister style coils should be mounted so that the high voltage coil tower is pointed upward.

I would leave it. You can carry a cheap old points distributor in your trunk, and if the MSD craps out while on the road, just install the points distributor by connecting the wire to the - on the coil and off you go.

Thank you,
In the instructions for the msd, it states to remove the ballast resistor as the msd likes the voltage. I removed mine and joined the wires together.

In the instructions for the msd, it states to remove the ballast resistor as the msd likes the voltage. I removed mine and joined the wires together.
No need to remove it, just combine both wires on a double spade connector (like what's on the voltage regulator in the first pic).

My MSD instructions [ 6,7,8 ] say this: 'No bal res or res wiring are necessary, but won't interfere with MSD operation if used'.

MSD 5, bal res must be bypassed.

Ballast bypass is only MANDATORY to be removed on RTR distributors. No need to be removed with the box. At the end the + coil signal which is the wire coming from ballast is just used to trigger ON the MSD box from ign switch (remote on). Load runs throught the thick red wire, not this one.

No need to remove it, just combine both wires on a double spade connector (like what's on the voltage regulator in the first pic).
Certainly can leave ballast and bypass. I took mine out altogether.. I saw instructions one time how to take it apart and wire straight through making it look like the ballast is still original but was bypassed.. I look around the web but couldn’t locate the article

This. You can leave the BR in place and find some double terminal extensions and put a jumper wire across the BR that if necessary can be quickly disconnected.

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

No idea why link says down for maintenance asIt opens up. If you can’t open just google, double spade auto electrical wire terminals.

Auto Transport Service
Back