• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What axle is this? in a 77 Cordoba

YY1

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Doesn't look like any from the popular ID chart.

Attachments

• 77 doba axle.jpg
    77 doba axle.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 229
  • axle ID 2.JPG
    axle ID 2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 416
That's actually the first thing I noticed, that it WAS more round than an 8 1/4.

I've got 2 8 1/4 axles in my shed, and they are MUCH more elongated.

The one in the pic doesn't have the drain plug, either.

# of bolts and locations match up.it may be newer then the ones you have.could have a ford or chevy rear in it as well.figured by the wheel stands its in a junk yard.

What car is it in and could be it be transplanted from another make of car? I wonder if it's a 9 1/4 out of a truck or van

Are you guys seeing the right side of the pic?

I switched to Firefox, after having some issues with IE fighting with MSE.

When I upload pics in firefox, it looks like the right side is cut off.

it looks like a 10 bolt chevy clean the tag and id it

Tag said "2.71".

I thought it was intereting that it wasn't "2.73".

I dunno about it being a 8.25. All the one's I've seen are a little more oval and have the fill plug in the rear cover. If I had to guess just based on looks I'd say it looks more like a GM 10 bolt as odd as that may be. However in looking at the picture, is that a fill hole on the right hand section of the diff cover?

I've heard that certain versions had some non-interchangeable parts, and that the "oddballs" had gears all the way to 2.45. Maybe this is one of those.

I've never seen a 2.71 gear.

To me it looks more like the 35, but the 8 1/4 in that chart looks close.

I'll get a pic of the two I have, one from a 5th Ave and one from a Dakota.

Also note the Cordoba has a sway bar...

That looks just like the 8.25 rear that originally came on my '70 Satellite. It also has the 2.71 gears. Definitely an 8.25 as most people here have said. Mine is available without brakes for $10 in Los Angeles if anyone wants it.

Yall are makin this way too difficult. If the axle is a transplant, it'll have evidence such as rewelded brackets and places where brackets have been removed. If it has none, it's factory.

a 271 gear was common in the 8 1/4. ive seen many. that cover looks different than mine , but it could just be the cover itself

Attachments

• axle4.jpg
    axle4.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 107
Yours looks like the two I have.

Very noticeable "flats" on top and bottom.

Keep in mind too, the cover itself could be throwing you off. If the center bulge is more round, it can make the whole thing look round. The bolt pattern is what you're concerned with and that very first pic, the bolt pattern is oval.

Auto Transport Service
Back