• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What broke first and caused the carnage?

Paul_G

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
This is the 73 Charger I brought home a few weeks ago with an engine that would not run. That problem is solved, now this.

Before driving the car I gave it a once over, replaced brake hoses and bled the brakes, checked the steering components, nut and bolt check on the suspension, did the alignment, check fluids, adjusted the clutch. It was ready for a shake down drive. Had it out, and it was running really good. Got it up to 60 MPH, it started to shake badly and then a great big BANG. I could see the drive shaft rolling down the road behind me. The u-joints were new and freshly greased.

Differential yoke has a strap bolt broken off in the yoke.
Trans yoke has an ear broken off, the yoke itself stayed in the trans for some reason, the tunnel has a big gouge in it above the trans side u joint.
Trans tail housing broken off
Bell housing cracked on both sides
dents in the drive shaft.

20210719-142034.jpg

20210719-142056.jpg

20210719-142107.jpg

20210719-142126.jpg

20210719-142133.jpg

20210719-142154.jpg

20210719-142219.jpg

20210719-142234.jpg

Last edited:
Look like something bound up in a hurry. Are you sure all the needle bearings were in place when the caps were pressed in?
Sucks anyway you look at it! Sorry for the loss, looked pretty clean underneath.

I agree with Mike something locked up and since you were still coasting I’m betting the trans locked up. Did you try to turn the trans with it in neutral?

Sorry for this happening.

Question, the caps that are in the rear yoke and trans yoke, are there clips in the grooves? Look at the driveshaft also. There are clips on the inside ears and they need to be on every cap of both u joints. = all 8 caps

BD9120E9-3D2D-4539-B400-AAEABBBE0FAB.jpeg CDAC76C0-49E6-4A38-BE57-919A67FE218A.jpeg

Last edited:
From the looks of the damage looks like not enough free play in the drive shaft. Minimum 1 1/2 to 2" free play or the tail shaft can shatter

I would guess a rear u-joint failure, or the bolt broke, allowing the u-joint to come loose, which amounts to the same thing.
A front u-joint would have pogo-sticked the car, and done more damage to the rearend.
You had a vibration, the rear of the driveshaft moving around, then a big bang as it came loose, and did the trans damage before exit.
My theory, anyway.....
Edit: not saying this is what you did, but lots of people overtighten those little 1/4x28 strap bolts, can deform u-joint caps.

My guess as well is u-joint failure
That is what happened with mine when I twisted the drive shaft on the dyno
We are positive that it failed in the U-joint first and caused all of the other damge

Check the gear lube in the rear end. Once upon a time when I was 17...I watched a rear end lock up and take out the entire driveline and explode the transmission. A tooth came off and locked it up momentarily to cause the carnage. No one felt it lock up at all....just a bunch of smoke and parts flying.

Sorry for this happening.

wuestion, the caps that are in the rear you’ll amd trans yoke, are there clips in the grooves? Look at the driveshaft also. There are clips on the inside ears and they need to be on every cap of both u joints. =8

View attachment 1141107 View attachment 1141108

This is your answer... Seen it a few times... Lotta damage every time but yours is about as bad as I've seen..

This is your answer... Seen it a few times... Lotta damage every time but yours is about as bad as I've seen..

I'm betting on the missing C clips as well.

I dropped a shaft in a parking lot when I was young, afterwards, I was told that I forgot the clips.

Make sure your flywheel is the prepper l
for your engine (balance wise)
You have to know what happened then get back on & try again
Whether or not the drive shaft lives it’s not to likely

......The u-joints were new and freshly greased.

If it's not obvious, this part was not done right. Likely the C clips as others have already mentioned.

With no clips, I think it spit a cap on the rear joint. That put the drive shaft out of balance and allowed remains of rear joint to flail around until everything broke. Sorry to see this.

I lost a driveshaft in my early years of racing. It let go at the top end and scared the sh## out of me, same carnage. I had changed the rear u-joint and forgot the retaining clips. Expensive lesson, but I never forgot them again.

Damn that's a lot of damage. I agree that it looks like it all started with the rear u joint yoke connection. The C clips are a must to hold the u joint in position. 440'

Man that looks bad. I'm glad mine broke on the starting line.

What it really does it keep you from pole vaulting, did that once when I was young and dumb! Good $50 investment.

Auto Transport Service
Back