• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can I expect from skinnies?

496BEE

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, some time next month I'm going to pull the trigger and either go with convo pro's or hole shot rims for both street and strip. I currently have crager steel wheels all the way around with 325s in the rear and I believe 235s in the front, what can I expect the light wheels with skinnies in the front to do to my 1/4 mile times? Could I expect 2/10s? Or is that wishful thinking..... Also what size front skinny should I go with that's a good compromise for Street/ strip, I'm running 28" or 29"s in the rear. Thanks!

Oh and for a 73 charger what offset for fronts?

Probably won't notice a thing. It'll steer quicker, though. Positive offset looks best on old mopes.

Probably won't notice a thing. It'll steer quicker, though. Positive offset looks best on old mopes.
I kinda figured that, but was hoping I was wrong

Wouldn't lighter rims all the way around take weight off the car? Also, I believe lighter rims means less rotating mass. That should be helpful to getting more power to the pavement as long as you're hooking up good. Less rotating mass should allow for the rear end to get the wheels spinning easier. For having skinnies up front, it will be a lot easier for turning. However, you lose handling capabilities on regular road use if you keep them on all the time.
In this situation my 2 cents may only be worth a quarter of a cent. Lol

I SEE YOUR WALLET GETTING MUCH LIGHTER..

IF YOU LIKE THE LOOK OF THE CONVO PRO'S GO FOR IT. ITS YOUR RIDE !!!

images (12)-001.jpg

Last edited:
.2 ? Really? More like .02
I know, again wishful thinking / trying to justify dropping the coin on them for something other than they look cool lol.

I know unsprung weight has more impact than sprung weight, but even 100lbs reduction of sprung weight is only about 1/10

If you went with a alumastar or magnum wheels, you could see as much as .03. I did when I switched from Weld draglites. I know I did

63 plymouth.jpg 63 plymouth savoy 10.15.15.jpg

Wow that's wild that you saw a difference from one drag wheel to the other .

I thought about skinnier while I was getting my car together, but skinnies + sure grip + street slicks + a surprise rain shower = too dangerous (for me). Though I suppose it'd be a quick swap for ya at the track.

About to order my be set up this afternoon decided on 295/65/15s for the rear (giving up some width for height). I'm still unsure for the front, should I go 26" or 28" tall?

I have 26's on my GTX but I will be switching to 28's. I like the looks better. You will see a bigger ET difference on weight reduction on rear wheels compared to front. Any reduction in rotating mass will have a bigger affect on et than sprung weight. Also taller tires will give you more rollout, giving you a little better et also.

Sounds good , I was leaning towards the 28"s just couldn't find any pictures and was worried it might look like a 4wd . Definitely would fill up the wheel well nicely probably gonna go with them

I have 26's on my GTX but I will be switching to 28's. I like the looks better. You will see a bigger ET difference on weight reduction on rear wheels compared to front. Any reduction in rotating mass will have a bigger affect on et than sprung weight. Also taller tires will give you more rollout, giving you a little better et also.

10343676_1133468690017912_4380584999478203817_n.jpg
10343676_1133468690017912_4380584999478203817_n.jpg

Sorry for the double picture. This is without the engine in. It may look better when the weight of the engine drops it. But I think I'll like the 28s better. Also then I can carry a 28" spare with out upsetting the chassis to much. It may look like *** but it will get me to where I need to go to get it fixed!

Auto Transport Service
Back