• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT CARB DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR MY 440

XMAN JR

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I am gonna buy a new carb for my 440 4spd 67 GTX. The motor has 10.1 compression, 480ish lift cam, stock intake. I want to keep the stock look, the air cleaner & fuel line. What carb/ cfm do you guys recommend ? I have a local guy who is very good at rebuilding AFBs & AVSs if I need to buy a used one.

I am gonna buy a new carb for my 440 4spd 67 GTX. The motor has 10.1 compression, 480ish lift cam, stock intake. I want to keep the stock look, the air cleaner & fuel line. What carb/ cfm do you guys recommend ? I have a local guy who is very good at rebuilding AFBs & AVSs if I need to buy a used one.
What is wrong with current carb? Can't it be rebuilt?
Mike

Yep, I'm with these guys. Rebuild your original carburetor & if it's not the original carb on there now, get one & rebuild it....my 2-cents

Going back 40 plus years, I had a Challenger RT 383 and my brother had Dart Swinger 340. We both had Holley carbs and both had problems with them. My brother rebuilt several of the Holleys and still didn't like them. We had heard that Carter AFB's can be a little temperamental so we both tried Carter AVS carbs and that was the end of any and all problems.

As I understand it, the Edelbrock carbs are the same as the old Carter parts. I am a Holley guy, but the Carter aftermarket AFB I used on my van worked GREAT. I didn't have good luck rebuilding AVS, That's just me. The EDE carbs sure seem to work for lots of folks. I presume the current EDE versions are the same as the AFB I used in the early '80's which worked great for me. Good luck.

As I understand it, the Edelbrock carbs are the same as the old Carter parts. I am a Holley guy, but the Carter aftermarket AFB I used on my van worked GREAT. I didn't have good luck rebuilding AVS, That's just me. The EDE carbs sure seem to work for lots of folks. I presume the current EDE versions are the same as the AFB I used in the early '80's which worked great for me. Good luck.
You are correct. Edelbrock bought out Carter Carburetors. I've had good luck with them too.

Sonny RB Block, 750 HOLLEY DP Mechanical Secondaries...E choke..2 summers, no prob...J/S...
HOLLEY.jpg

What is wrong with current carb? Can't it be rebuilt?
Mike
Its not the original carb. Its just carb that dad had laying around. He rebuilt it. Not even sure what it is AFB or AVS. Dad was pretty good at carb rebuilding. It must be just worn out. It falls flat on its face at high RPMs

850 Mighty Demon. Perfect under 8000 feet and 101 degrees. Really easy to tune, and sweet 2-4 transitions.

Its not the original carb. Its just carb that dad had laying around. He rebuilt it. Not even sure what it is AFB or AVS. Dad was pretty good at carb rebuilding. It must be just worn out. It falls flat on its face at high RPMs
OK. I imagine the jetting and calibration is not correct for your combination, so a different model is indeed called for.
I personally prefer the AVS as it's easier to tune the secondary opening.
Mike

I was going to suggest a Holley 750, but heck ya might have one on there already.

Why don’t ya post a pic and we can go from there. Then decide if it needs a tune or replace.

"falls flat on it's face" sounds like a fuel delivery problem. What's your fuel pressure?
Post the carb # and then we'll figure out what size it is.
What do you consider "high rpms"?
What's it jetted at?
Too much timing can effect how hard it pulls in the top end. What's your timing, at full advance?
Many things to consider before you just throw another carb at it.

As I said before, I'm a Holley guy, just because I got to understand them & spent the time to figure out how to tune them. If you choose to switch from the OEM Carter style to a Holley, lots of choices. For street use, a smaller size will work just fine. I successfully ran a single 650 DP on one of my high RPM 452 drag motors. Not much drop off from the 850 DP. A 750 to 850 size Holley will work well. I also also had good results from the 3310 vacuum carbs. The DP style take more work to make work really well.

If you are looking for desired cfm take your cid x your max rpm and divide by 3456.

So you have a 440 x 5500 =2420000 / 3456= 700 cfm

Auto Transport Service
Back