• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What carburetor for my 318?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Old original motor on my Sport Satellite. I pulled of the intake and will replace with an edlebrock performer. Looking at Edlebrock carbs and the Holley 4160 (600 cfm).

Plan to put headers and cam later but since my manifold needs to be changed I thought this was a good wxcuse I mean time for this combo ugrade.

So what is a good drivable carb thats easy to adjust and will be reliable that sits on the performer? I have owned Rochesters but allways wanted to play with Holley’s.

Thanks for your inputs!

Some love the eddys and some love the holleys. Whichever route you go get an electric choke and enjoy. 600 cfm is MORE than enough carb for any mods you are likely to do with the 318.

I'm a fan of Edelbrock carbs. I have a 1405 non elec choke 600cfm on my 318 Poly. No adjustment out of the box, it just runs. If you do need to adjust it they are very simple, moreso for the AVS as opposed to the AFB. Get a phenolic spacer for it if you are going to be driving in the summer. I drive mine in Yuma in the summer occassionally without issue

I prefer elddy because they are set and forget perfect for street driving racing there ok but basic hollys are better for racing but in my opinion there a pain for street driving . I threw a 650 on my 318 no problems out of it never loaded up or anything and top end it just kept going I got scared and backed off at 140-150 and a old ragged charger that was about slap wore out ! just keep in mind more air fuel in the exhaust will need to be opened up or you may start fouling plugs out . A cheap set of summit headers for $100 do the trick nicely then a couple cherry bombs and I call that happiness!

You might want to try finding a Carter Competition Series 9636. Designed as the performance replacement fir the 383/340. I had one on a 273 and it performed great. Real good carbs however they are not made anymore. They can be found in running order on the swap forums. I sold the last good 9636 I had this past weekend at Fall Fling.

If you go the Edelbrock route, it is in my experience that the AVS style “Thunder” carb is a bit more tunable since the secondary side has a spring loaded tuneable door to delay or quicken the secondary side for a better smoother bog free acceleration.

On the Holley carb(s), there are so freakin many versions it is head spinning. I’ll comment on what is basically the equal to the Carter/Edelbrock carb since they are merely a slightly upgraded version of the OEM units.

Model 1850, a 4160 vacuum secondary carb, single feed with a transfer tube for the secondary side. Also 600 cfm.

I swapped these two carbs around and found no performance or mileage gain or loss between them. (A really mild engine.)

What I did not do with the Holley is take the time to super tune it. Holley is way more tuneable than the Carter/Edelbrock is.

Both were excellent performers with no real difference between them. This was on a ‘79, 318 in a ‘74 Duster.

If you would some details, start up a conversation.

Thanks for your inputs so far guys! Rumblefish I will try to add more details.

Situation is that the stock manifold has to be pulled (all bolts removed and will be pulled today for me to inspect) since the water heater nipple disinigrated ands to be drilled out. I don’t plan to actually use the heater lines since I am in Arizona. So I will cap it. So I in theory I could probably work it but the longer term plan is more performance oriented.

The car looks like it sat for 5 years and is in rough shape. I don’t know if the engine has any issues but as I dig I keep finding more work (par for the course I guess).

Trying to keep the cost and complexity down on this build and provide a platform to add things listed below as I get the money and time.

I will add the following engine components to complete the build:

1. Have a new flame thrower coil from another build.
2. Wires and point replacement unit for the dizzy.
3. Manifold and 4 barrel carb (the subject of this thread)
4. Long tube headers as long as they will clear the steering. I assume they will fit fine but confirmation from someone would be great.
5. Duel exhaust with some cheap mufflers or bombs etc as bb70 eluded to.
6. New performance heads in time.

Well thats the plan anyway until I run into another issue I was not planning to deal with. Oh and I plan to paint the car myself lime green ( not sure of the specific shade). Lastly convert the interior to black.

Nice project, I too am a fan of the Edelbrocks.But, like stated above it is personal preference. I have a stone stock 318 in my truck with a Thermoquad (another )that fits a spread bore manifold like your Performer.I have read good reviews about the Demon carb too.Again, some like 'um, some don't.Back to personal preference.

Moes thats an interesting peice of hardware! The price is I like ne with the edlebrock too. Yes I am in a hit environment Phoenix actually so heat is always a major issue with cars here. That’s another reason I don’t want another iron big block car. Can you point mme to any technical reviews that you might know of or anyone who might be running this sucker?

I'm running a 750 Street Demon with the composite fuel bowl on a built up 340 motor with headers. It gets hot up here in the summer to and I have never had a problem with my fuel percolating unlike other guys carbs (fuel boiling away after shutting their cars down after driving them). It was very easy to tune with my AFR gauge. I have a few other friends that run the 625 carb on their 318 motor and 750 carb on their 440 motors to and they think they are great carb to use.

Last edited:
My 2-cents.... look & see if you can find an old Carter "competition series" 500cfm. In my opinion, 600cfm is about the max. I would ever run on a street-driven 318. Think about it, those tiny 2-barrels did pretty well & they are SMALL. Bigger is not always better which I've learned the hard way over the years.

Having said all that, if you can find one of the 318 Thermoquad setups (much larger I believe), that might be a good option, especially if you build the motor up. You probably know this, but keep in mind the smaller sized 318 intake ports vs. 340/360. If you build the top end, you might want to consider some 340/360 heads.

Thanks Moes I am researching the carb now. Good to know others are using them for the same application.

Hi Purple, hey I am from Chicago originally where abouts are you (North side South side burbs etc)? Thanks for the inputs I have been a Chevy and Ford wrenching guy and now starting the Mopar thing. So I dont know what a thermoquad is. I do need a carburetor that is ready to go and not in need of a rebuild. I see summit is selling remans of this unit but I don't know what it is. Can you shed some light on it for me? Will this be a good carb to grow with if I end up doing headers and heads etc? I suppose my 650CFM was good enough for my 496 a 500CFM would be good enough for the 318. I just have no experience with these set up's and need your guys inputs!

Thanks the MoparFeind

I live right up the road from you. I have a 9636 that came off a driver.

I live right up the road from you. I have a 9636 that came off a driver.
Thanks Dart4 I think I want to go with a fresh carburetor and as such I am thinking of either the Edlbrock 1405 or the Demon 1901. They both are around the same price $300 and the Demon has the composite fuel assembly and here in AZ that might be the tipping point for me......

Thanks Dart4 I think I want to go with a fresh carburetor and as such I am thinking of either the Edlbrock 1405 or the Demon 1901. They both are around the same price $300 and the Demon has the composite fuel assembly and here in AZ that might be the tipping point for me......

K

Hey thanks so much guys for all your inputs on this! Thanks dart4 for you offer especially!
Based on my limited research I decided to go with the Demon 1900. I’l let you guys know how it works out on my 1970 Sport Satellite build thread posted in the 1968-1970 b-body section entitled “Advice for a 1970 Sport Satellite “ I am going to need a lot of help from you guys!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back