• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What clutch for my Charger??

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
I need to get a clutch kit ordered for my Charger R/T, 440, 11" flywheel, 18 spline. It will have around 500 flywheel hp. Is anyone familiar with the Centerforce dual friction 071800? I think this is the one I need? Is the only modification being to remove the over center spring from my pedal assembly? Should I be looking at a certain throw-out bearing as well, or just a parts store one? Need some opinions from someone more knowledgeable than me.

Last edited:
Been doing a little digging around and am amazed at all the bad reviews on the Centerforce clutches. How about McLeod 75240 super street pro or a RAM 98504 powergrip? Anybody on here have any experience with either of these?

I really like the Centerforce stuff mysef, they were definately the first to come out with a STREET clutch that could hold any power. I have run theirs, and the Ram stuff too, never run a McLeod but they have some nice stuff as well these days. But asking about clutches will get you more opinions than anything other than camshafts! Bottom line, any of the three, set up correctly, would serve your needs fine. Are you going to go with a hydraulic release bearing? That would be the one thing I would upgrade for sure, and i am going to add one to my GTX over the winter.

Good luck,

I run the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch set with an aluminum SFI flywheel. I recently installed an American Powertrain hydraulic throw out bearing to replace my hydraulic slave cylinder. I have 2" primary headers on my max wedge so the factory mechanical linkage wouldn't fit. The combination now is perfect. Easy pedal, good engagement and great holding power. I would recommend using the clutch manufacturer's throw out bearing if you go with mechanical linkage. If you ever do have a problem you're standing on firmer ground. Personally, I've run both Hays and McLeod without problems as well. And yes, you should remove the overcenter spring if you use a diaphragm type pressure plate. If you use a stock or used flywheel make sure you get it surfaced, even if it looks good.

Auto Transport Service
Back