• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What coil to use with chrome box?

71Beeper

Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
I plan on using the Mopar Performance chrome box with a by-passed ballast.
No MSD for me.
I do have a new MSD2 blaster coil to use with it.
Is there a better alternative to use?

I plan on using the Mopar Performance chrome box with a by-passed ballast.
No MSD for me.
I do have a new MSD2 blaster coil to use with it.
Is there a better alternative to use?
I would use it.
Unless your on blown nitromethane, a coils a coil.

If you bypass the ballast the box runs hotter.
So a shorter lifespan and if I'm correct you can't get the "chrome" box anymore commercially.

If you have a blaster coil then you do have MSD by the way...

If you bypass the ballast the box runs hotter.
So a shorter lifespan and if I'm correct you can't get the "chrome" box anymore commercially.

If you have a blaster coil then you do have MSD by the way...
I missed the bypassed part.
Ya that's what burns the box out, which leads 100s of more posts about how chrysler boxes are ****.

1656441040953.png

Coil resistance could be an issue. A low resistance coil like the MSD Blaster maybe a problem?? I'm not an electric guy hope someone has an answer about low resistance coils and chrome boxes. It would be a shame to burn up a chrome box . 12v to a blaster would I think would shorten its life. Think E-core coils can handle 12volts.
post before had some answers.

Coil resistance could be an issue. A low resistance coil like the MSD Blaster maybe a problem?? I'm not an electric guy hope someone has an answer about low resistance coils and chrome boxes. It would be a shame to burn up a chrome box . 12v to a blaster would I think would shorten its life. Think E-core coils can handle 12volts.
post before had some answers.
IMO.....low resistance coils (the low resistance is the primary winding that inniates the ignition cycle), charging current must be switched off by the transistor on the chrome box. The transistor controls the on-off of the coil primary current. The lower resistance of the coil, the more current the transistor must switch. In addition, when the transistor turns OFF and the high voltage spark occurs, a voltage is reflected back to the switching transistor. This reflected voltage can be several hundred volts; the transistor must be able to absorb this infuced or reflected voltage or else it will fail.
It is extremely important that the coil and chrome box be compatible. Arbitrarily mix matching the coil and ECU or Electronic Control Unit, aka chrome box, will lead to a failure of the ECU, coil or both. The same is true of the ballast resistor....every component must be compatible. See the chart in #7's posting. Electronics can be fickle....they function today but not tomorrow and usually will fail at the most inopportune time. I'm sure others will have their own preferences and opinions and say all this doesn't matter. Electronics are wonderful....except when they don't work...... Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

The chrome box specifies a min 0.5 ohm bal res & production coils had a nominal 1.5 ohm pri res. The Blaster coil has a 0.7 ohm pri res & not sure if it requires a bal res. Either way, res is too low & may live up to it's name & Blast the ECU into oblivion...

Daves69 - thanks for posting the application chart.

I wanted to by-pass the ballast so the coil would get a full 12 volts.
I'll have to go with the proper ballast if I can find one.

Now that I think of it, I think the MSD coil comes with a resistor in the package.
I'll have to dig it out and have a look.

Next question, is there a 2 post ballast that is 0.5ohms?

I read this on a Moparts post:

N O S Chrysler 4111850 ECU
Correct Chrysler 3874767 Dual Ballast Resistor (.5 OHM)
Later versions where 1.2 OHM

I certainly do not want to burn out the chrome box, but I have a couple of spare ones just in case....:lol:

Daves69 - thanks for posting the application chart.

I wanted to by-pass the ballast so the coil would get a full 12 volts.
I'll have to go with the proper ballast if I can find one.

Now that I think of it, I think the MSD coil comes with a resistor in the package.
I'll have to dig it out and have a look.

Next question, is there a 2 post ballast that is 0.5ohms?

I read this on a Moparts post:

N O S Chrysler 4111850 ECU
Correct Chrysler 3874767 Dual Ballast Resistor (.5 OHM)
Later versions where 1.2 OHM

I certainly do not want to burn out the chrome box, but I have a couple of spare ones just in case....:lol:
Out of curiosity, WHY do you want to by-pass the required ballast resistor and put 12 volts on the coil full time? You will not get more spark, or in spite of what you have been told, more or higher horsepower. The secondary coil voltage (spark) is determined by the coil's turns ratio.
The 0.5 ohm two terminal ballast resistor is available thru Year One, Tony's Parts, snd Hallifaxhops, on line etc. You should use what is recommended by the coil's manufacturer. The ballast resistor LIMITS the coil's primary current flow and how much the ignition control module switches.
BOB RENTON

Geoff2 - here's where it was made.
20220703_090202.jpg

Of course, where everything else comes from.....:lol:

Bob - live and learn. I assumed that by doing the ballast by-pass the coil would get a full 12 volts of power & then provide better voltage.
I always thought that Mopar engineers used the ballast resistor back in the day to prolong the life of the ignition points.
Now I know better as you guys have enlightened me to the workings of the electronic ignition system.

Geoff2 mentioned earlier that the MSD coil has 0.7 ohms built into it.
If that is the case and then adding the 0.5 ohm ballast resistor would that help or hinder?

The ballast also provided temperature compensation. I have had leaking issues with Baster 2 coils mounted laying down.

ballast.jpg

Out of curiosity, WHY do you want to by-pass the required ballast resistor and put 12 volts on the coil full time? You will not get more spark, or in spite of what you have been told, more or higher horsepower. The secondary coil voltage (spark) is determined by the coil's turns ratio.
The 0.5 ohm two terminal ballast resistor is available thru Year One, Tony's Parts, snd Hallifaxhops, on line etc. You should use what is recommended by the coil's manufacturer. The ballast resistor LIMITS the coil's primary current flow and how much the ignition control module switches.
BOB RENTON
Well actually you would get a higher voltage spark without the ballast resistor since you would have
12 x turns ratio Vs approximately 9x tunsvratio.
But it may not have much longevity.

Agree Mopar Jack that there are problems with Blaster 2's laying down. The directions I think they should be vertical mounted. The High Vibration Blaster can be mounted anyway you want.

Over the past 30 years, there have been multiple breakouts of what components to use with the chrome box.. Mopar has been selling a version of the MSD Blaster 2 coil during this time, but my concern would be the later built components for their specs and quality. In my case, I have been running a chrome box(made in the USA in 2004), Blaster 2 coil, Mopar electronic distributor, ballast resistor(#2441641, 0.25 Ohm) for over 20 years without any issues...

Just my $0.02.... ;)

Auto Transport Service
Back