• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color are you painting your '72 motors?

Dibbons

Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
Need to decide what color to paint the motor I'm preparing for my '72 SSP project car. I guess a small block was painted "blue" from the factory, but I prefer the red or orange motors. What are the rest of you doing with respect to motor color for your 1972 vehicles, and how did you arrive at your decision? Thank you.

I stayed with factory turquoise blue on my 72 Challenger. I wanted the car to remain original.

I think you should paint the motor the color you like. you are the one who is going to be driving it and popping it up every time someone wants to take a peek :). However, I want to say that 71 was the last year for orange engines (at least on small blocks?). I have a 72 roadrunner and it was painted the teal blue color. I will probably go with the blue myself not so much because it is correct but because my car is already orange and I like the contrast. Orange is always a popular color and I doubt anyone would give you crap about it (they shouldn't!) or even notice it wasn't the factory color.

Was thinking the same thing, I have owned my 72 Charger (very unoriginal) since 1992, I freshened the engine up with Chrysler blue back then. Fast forward to 2016 my car is under resto and when my replacement engine goes in, I think I will be going with some version of Mopar orange.

I went with VHT Hemi Orange on my 72 Satellite project. I did the engine bay B5 (since thats what the rest of the car will be soon enough) and it looks great with the orange 440. I didn't think I'd like the blue on blue. But definitely go with whatever you like. Build it the way you want it unless if you're doing a factory resto.

1972 Satellite Sebring, Mopar blue
IMG_1154.JPG

i have owned my 72 charger since 91 440 motor in a 318 car...it has been black, chevy orange, blue, hemi orange, 440 orange, some color of red...now back to mopar orange ....the black was the worst!

Mine is not a 72 it's a 68. The engine color from the factory was teal blue which I'm not particularly fond of. I went with Hemi orange because it's kind of universal and looks cool. If you're not an everything has to be correct guy - I say go with what trips your switch. It's your car do it as y ou like.

I've continued my father's tradition of black and chrome, and aluminum like my 440 in my 72 I'm also building

20140705_204023.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back