• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What colour springs are you using in your secondaries?

What colour springs are you running?

• White

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Yellow (short)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Yellow

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Purple

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Plain

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Black

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters

moparcanuck

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
In your mostly stock 440 Six Pack, what colour springs are you running in your outer carbs?

I honestly cannot remember! It's had the present tune for ten years. Spent meny hours playing with the springs and as I recall it's pretty easy to fegure out what is right for your set up. Just throw them in and keep track of how the come in. Sorry I don't recall.
KID

this is kind of subjective to each car. motor combo's/converer/weight of car/timing/temp you run the motor at are just some of the things that play into it. get the motor up to operating temp, start out with the stiff springs and work your way down. i like to WOT it from a cruise speed in 3rd gear. once you feel it start to bog go back up one spring.

this is kind of subjective to each car. motor combo's/converer/weight of car/timing/temp you run the motor at are just some of the things that play into it. get the motor up to operating temp, start out with the stiff springs and work your way down. i like to WOT it from a cruise speed in 3rd gear. once you feel it start to bog go back up one spring.

Hemi GTS has the correct way to do it.
I did the pulls in 3rd and 4th then all gears when I was close, ended up with long yellow springs.

Black. When I had the setup on my Belvedere those worked fairly well but still had other issues so never fully dialed in. That setup is now on my 69 RR so the tuning will begin again when the car is road worthy. Another thing to look for is the vacuum bleed hole into the main venturi of the outboard carbs. There are two sizes that I'm aware of. About .040" and .065". Changing the size of this hole will drastically affect how the outboard carbs open.

blacks are an absolute no-no. the carbs will never open with them. '69 a12 cars came with purples and 70-71 came with yellows. i did a track test on a near stock engine in a 69 b-body automatic. for every step heavier than yellow the car slowed down a tenth. holley has published opening rates for the springs. in a single 4bbl big block chevy test the black spring never let the 780 carb fully open a WOT. why would two black springs work if one won't. i've messed with 6-paks since 1970. had several sets. tried factory vacuum carbs, corvette carbs, the direct connection mechanicals, worked with several folks who've raced them in brackets and street/strip. in my experience the vacuum carbs were the overall best and yellow springs gave the best performance with purples making a nice street/strip compromise.

blacks are an absolute no-no. the carbs will never open with them. '69 a12 cars came with purples and 70-71 came with yellows. i did a track test on a near stock engine in a 69 b-body automatic. for every step heavier than yellow the car slowed down a tenth. holley has published opening rates for the springs. in a single 4bbl big block chevy test the black spring never let the 780 carb fully open a WOT. why would two black springs work if one won't. i've messed with 6-paks since 1970. had several sets. tried factory vacuum carbs, corvette carbs, the direct connection mechanicals, worked with several folks who've raced them in brackets and street/strip. in my experience the vacuum carbs were the overall best and yellow springs gave the best performance with purples making a nice street/strip compromise.

like i said before this is subjective to the combination and needs to be dialed in to your particular car and combo. i run blacks in my road chicken, trust me they open just fine.

roadrunnertime2_zpsf7e2806b.jpg

I have whites in mine now.. i was at MIR the track was hooking for the bias-plys and i wanted
all in fast... I run firmer springs yellow, brown, purple for tracks that don't hook as well..

Interesting results. Black was supposed to be a no-no but they are in the lead. I am running plain and haven't heard anything about them - good or bad. They are the second most used. Yellow and purple at the bottom.

For your engine I would use the yellow.

Good to know there are different springs in the 70-71 carbs!

- - - Updated - - -

So are the OEM yellows short or std?

In my case the black springs won't allow the outboards to fully open. And I watched this on a chassis dyno from 3000 RPM to about 5500 RPM. They do however make the transition much better. The big problem that I saw was the non linearity of how the outboards open. It's a rapid opening up to about half throttle then really slow after that.

Auto Transport Service
Back