• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What determined if a car got a 10.5 or 11" clutch?

dsd1967

Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
I've been putting together a 4 speed set up for my car and years ago I picked up a flywheel bell housing and some other pieces. I'm trying to figure out what clutch I need and if the bell is the correct one for my flywheel. The flywheel has 143 teeth. Are the bell housings the same for the 10.5 and 11" clutches? If not what are the differences?

What determined if a car got the 10.5 or 11" clutch?

The 143 tooth flywheel is the 11" flywheel, so you should have the 11" bell housing. I am assuming from your name your car is a 67. If so, the bell housing should be # 2843234. I know in the 1970 b bodies, the engine size was the main deciding factor in what decided the clutch size from looking at the service manual right now. I am much more familiar with 1970 cars than anything else, so someone else can chime in if any of this info is incorrect for the 67. But with all this said, common sense would tell me you would have an 11" clutch.

Thanks PlumcrazyRR. The car is a 67 but I'm not sure where the bell came from. Where would the PN be located....between the tranny and bell by chance? I have it sitting on a stand with the tranny bolted to the bell....and that's the only place I haven't looked yet.

If I am not mistaken, the number should be stamped on the outside front, technically the back of the bell housing towards the bottom right if you are looking at it. Sorry if that is a little confusing. Let me see if I can find a pic. Looking at the pic below, it should be at the bottom right.

image.jpg

Thanks....that makes sense. Looks like I'll have to take my tranny off the bell.

Thanks RC.....that saves me from taking the tranny off the bell for now.

Auto Transport Service
Back