• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do these 2 square headed bolts secure?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
69 Coronet R/T Power Steering Column with Floor Shift Auto.

What do the 2 square headed bolts secure in the housing?

IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0027.jpg

keep them loose for now, the square edge of the bolt sits in the square part of the upper column and the open face sits under the edge on the lower half of the steering column, then you tighten the nut to assemble upper to lower column, i had same confusion when i first did it, but if you look closely you can see how it works. good luck

keep them loose for now, the square edge of the bolt sits in the square part of the upper column and the open face sits under the edge on the lower half of the steering column, then you tighten the nut to assemble upper to lower column, i had same confusion when i first did it, but if you look closely you can see how it works. good luck

I edited my post by adding more photos. Are you saying the bolts hold the housings together somehow?

I edited my post by adding more photos. Are you saying the bolts hold the housings together somehow?
yes, 1 side of the square part of the bolt latches over the lower part of the column piece on the inside, if thats makes sense.

Benno is correct. If you look on the back side of the housing the bolts are in, the square heads are kept from rotating in a channel. That channel is also tapered. What you do is back the bolts off so they are at the last thread. You align those heads with the slots on the column. As you put them together, make sure you push the loose bolts down. If everything is aligned right, as you tighten the heads they will ride down the ramp inward toward the column and then the square head will hit the slot and tighten down.

I had the same issue and once I looked it over, it made sense.

Makes sense. I'll give it a shot. It worked. Eureka!!!

Thanks FBBO. Especially cuda, benno, and dsd.

Last edited:
Hello,new member here and I am facing the same situation with my 68 RR. Any chance someone could send additional images to help me out?

Thanks, Bogey

Hey....just spent a few hours tearing apart the steering column to look at the turn signal wiring. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how these two bolts worked. I won't claim to fully understand it yet, but knowing I needed to have them on loose and seated while I attached the housings together really saved me. Thanks a lot!!

Wow, You guys are great with the explanations. I've been battling this dilemma for a while now. I think I can now put the column back together right.

Is it possible that the collar hub can wear out where the square head slides in? I've tightened them down a few times and if I put a little pressure on the hub the bolts pop out. Seems that I can tighten them down but then they pop out again.

Is it possible that the collar hub can wear out where the square head slides in? I've tightened them down a few times and if I put a little pressure on the hub the bolts pop out. Seems that I can tighten them down but then they pop out again.

Boy, I sure hope you get an answer to your inquiry, it would also help me a lot.

I think it would be pretty odd if the hub area wore out. Most cars have never even had that piece taken apart and it is non moving. You have to get them aligned just right however. If you don't, they will come apart easily like you are experiencing.

My hub. Do you think it could be worn? I was thinking of using some epoxy and a thin metal strip to try and tighten it up a bit. If it doesn't work I can always grind it off.
column-part-png.png

Auto Transport Service
Back