• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does GTX stand for?

cheno2

Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Had the question ask of me today, couldn't answer it...they were disappointed in me cause I am diehard MOPAR.
Help!!!

I know I don't have the exact answer to your question, but I was always told it was a "Gentleman's (GT)?? Blend (X)??? of styling and performance.. A "Higher Class" musclecar...?? But I hope someone else will put their 2 cents in..

I thought it was a form of "Grand Touring" and then an X because that was a popular 60's thing
Like an AMX

It stands for a car that will whoop-*** over generally any brand-x car..... in style.

This definitely has to be it. No doubt about it :)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
The GTX was known as the "Gentlemans Muscle car".

Stands for nothing in itself, was purely a marketing,badging tool to differentiate a premium,sporty, catchy and cooler version of the same basic car from the Belvederes and Satellites..."Jack Smith, Chryslers Product Planning Manager played with various 3 letter combinations before settling on GTX , unabashedly imitative of the competitions GTO..."

It was marketing BS similar to rich corinthian leather. Grand Turismo, meaning GT, was popular and an obvious knock on the GTO and other cars of the period. The X meant that it denoted luxury, it was extra, it was special. Didn't mean anything literally.

[video=youtube;QMWikI9L7T0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QMWikI9L7T0[/video]

Actually now that I think about it the AMX was American Motors eXperimental I think

It was and is the highest performance car associated with certain Plymouth intermediate line of cars... I really don't know if there is a specific name that gos with it just tell them expensive and highest class to own, they will deal with it well enough. Or one who loves the Mopar Plymouth line,,, top of that line fast cars... i like to think there just plain cool expensive top line Plymouth's

Chrysler Marketing basically Gran Touring Executive, Gran Touring Experimental, Gran Touring Exceptional, I've heard them all...LOL, but allegedly it's merely 3 letters that sounded good, sales ploy & play off the Ferrari & Pontiac Gran Turismo Omologato... Dodges GTS Gran Touring Sport

Collectible Automobile Magazine had two great articles on the GTX and are available as back issues or on ebay:

August 2012 "1966-67 Plymouth Belvedere: More in the Middle"- written by a junior stylist in the 67 Dodge Exterior Studio, a really great article that goes in depth about the 66-67 design and the origin of the 'GTX' moniker...

April 1993 "1967-71 Plymouth GTX: Cubic Inches Counted" another great GTX article

GTX stands for rusty old framerails.

According to Jack Smith, it was a business decision to just take the GTO name since they were selling so well. They couldn't use GTO, so they came up with GTX. He said the X didn't really mean anything, and was just a letter they decided to use.

In Jack's words...

"I was there to become the manager of the mid-sized Plymouth product planning group. When I got that job, one of my first chores was to field something that could compete with that GTO. Thus, the Plymouth GTX was born. Frankly, it was just a philosophical copy of the GTO. We took a premium Belvedere with a premium interior, premium accoutrements and moldings—all that stuff—and added the biggest engine that Chrysler had, the 440 four-barrel. A very strong car! It could easily compete with the GTO.

"And I can tell you how we got GTX, if you want to know. What does that X mean? It's just a letter. We arrived at it in sort of a logical way, but it was a copy of GTO."

Original is at Jack Smith and the Plymouth Road Runner http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/jack-smith-roadrunner.html#ixzz2wYfFpUs7

Yeah, it was kinda like the GLHS which means Goes Like Hell Somemore........ :D

Auto Transport Service
Back