• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What drag radial?

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Whats everyone using? Drag radial tires

M/T 315/65x15 ET street radial pro, on an ex-8sec car, to replace 18.5/31x15 Hoosier quick time pro. Little tires for big.

Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials...
On Year One aluminum Rallye wheels rear wheel diameter 17"x 9" wide, 5" backspacing. FACTORY stock suspension, wheelwells, etc at the time, 315/35/17 and perfectly centered, ZERO rubbing! GREAT wet streets/rain performance and good on the track. If only the factory could have used these, they sure would have fit like OEM.
I've since done some suspension mods, all in my signature. I'm going to try the 345/40/17 and see if they fit.
I'd NEVER use Nitto 555R drag radials if there was ANY chance of encountering a wet surface, and if I had Nitto 555R on and it rained? I'd have to call a tow. My 1st hand experience with the Nitto 555R, good to great tread depth, on my 89 Conquest TSi could have killed me in a medium-light rain at 60 MPH on a 70 MPH limit highway blacktop in great condition.
I have complete confidence in the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials if I happen to get caught in rain.
Unfortunately I haven't been to the track since I had numerous traction aids installed, but I believe the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials are very good.
I'm also interested in trying some Mackey Thompson stuff, but I have no 1st hand experience.
For street and strip?
Hands down, 100% Toyo!

On Year One aluminum Rallye wheels rear wheel diameter 17"x 9" wide, 5" backspacing. FACTORY stock suspension, wheelwells, etc at the time, 315/35/17 and perfectly centered, ZERO rubbing! GREAT wet streets/rain performance and good on the track. If only the factory could have used these, they sure would have fit like OEM.
I've since done some suspension mods, all in my signature. I'm going to try the 345/40/17 and see if they fit.
I'd NEVER use Nitto 555R drag radials if there was ANY chance of encountering a wet surface, and if I had Nitto 555R on and it rained? I'd have to call a tow. My 1st hand experience with the Nitto 555R, good to great tread depth, on my 89 Conquest TSi could have killed me in a medium-light rain at 60 MPH on a 70 MPH limit highway blacktop in great condition.
I have complete confidence in the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials if I happen to get caught in rain.
Unfortunately I haven't been to the track since I had numerous traction aids installed, but I believe the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials are very good.
I'm also interested in trying some Mackey Thompson stuff, but I have no 1st hand experience.
For street and strip?
Hands down, 100% Toyo!
The M/T radial pro's are not street legal, even though they have a Dot number. They are basically radial slicks with the absolutely minimum tread. My giant Hoosier are street legal, but neither should EVER be anywhere near a wet road!

For street and strip?
Hands down, 100% Toyo!

What car?

No drag radials should be used in wet weather.
Buddy put his Duster into the wall on a local freeway, at the Nats this year.
Light drizzle and a bit of standing water.

he knew better, but decided he’d do 50 or so, in the slow lane.

bad decision :(

No drag radials should be used in wet weather.
I respectfully disagree. I would say that "to assure safety, it's best not to use drag radials in wet weather" but I would add "unless you have first hand information from reliable, trusted sources".
Knowing that if my Conquest TSi would have gone off the highway to the right, vs the left and into the grassy median, the right may have been a bunch of trees, and that may have been the end of me.
I have done a LOT of research since then, but more importantly I have had my Toyo TQ drag radials on my Roadrunner for at least 4 years. NEVER have I had a problem with rain or wet/puddled streets or highways.
USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION. I have so much confidence in the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials that I put them on my wife's GTO, and believe me, if I thought they would ever be the reason for loss of traction in wet conditions, I never would have put them on her car. As it is, I get blamed for EVERYTHING that is bad, everything, so of course that would be my fault too.
In my case, that's the best reason I can back up my recommendation, and the 2nd best reason is I sure wouldn't want my Roadrunner to get wrecked for my choosing the wrong drag radials.
What car?
70 V-code Roadrunner
These are them...
20201018_094147.jpg

I drive and race on my Hoosier radial 30 x 9 slicks with my 63. Been caught in the rain 3 times and have not had a problem driving nice and easy. Never got away from me in rain but you have to use sense and drive real easy of course. Ron

Of these two which one? Both 275/60/15 These are the only ones in stock right now. MT or M&H
Thought I had a pic of the M&H it has tread on the outer sides

mtt-3540.jpg

If you're buying it more for street use, the more open tread of the M&H. If you're buying for strip use, and occasional street use, get the mickeys.
The mickeys can be lethal in the wet, they are race tires, and certainly won't last long regularly street driven..
Edit: the sipes(sideways grooves to direct water) on the M&H make it a bunch better street tire.

If you're buying it more for street use, the more open tread of the M&H. If you're buying for strip use, and occasional street use, get the mickeys.
The mickeys can be lethal in the wet, they are race tires, and certainly won't last long regularly street driven..
Edit: the sipes(sideways grooves to direct water) on the M&H make it a bunch better street tire.

100% street and probably 500 miles per year. M&H it is

100% street and probably 500 miles per year. M&H it is
Mike,
I'm going to post again for emphasis, since you just wrote that you are using the drag radials for 100% Street use, please, for your own safety, look at the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials.
IF you hit wet surfaces, puddles, or rain, they are WAY more safe, I'd say the safest drag radials in wet conditions, and work well for traction.
The smallest diameter is a 16", I use 17". If you have to have 15s I guess that would eliminate the Toyos.
tq-right.jpg

Mike,
I'm going to post again for emphasis, since you just wrote that you are using the drag radials for 100% Street use, please, for your own safety, look at the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials.
IF you hit wet surfaces, puddles, or rain, they are WAY more safe, I'd say the safest drag radials in wet conditions, and work well for traction.
The smallest diameter is a 16", I use 17". If you have to have 15s I guess that would eliminate the Toyos.
View attachment 1165985

Those are nice looking, I just tried lookung them up and no 15s, thats too bad.
I bet those would be a big hit with the muscle car crowd!!!

I'm happy with the ET S/S Mickeys...my stroker BB finally feels like a stroker BB. Even on the unpredictable street surfaces. I can finally get a jump from a stop which I couldn't do before even at part-throttle....and under power the shift points feel like like someone's kicking me in the back now where as before, I had to be careful because the tires broke loose so easy. Having the ***-end start sliding sideways on an upshift at 60+mph isn't as fun as people make it out to be:rolleyes:..
(Shocks and suspension movement/control help a lot too, of course..)

ss.jpg

I'm happy with the ET S/S Mickeys...my stroker BB finally feels like a stroker BB. Even on the unpredictable street surfaces. I can finally get a jump from a stop which I couldn't do before even at part-throttle....and under power the shift points feel like like someone's kicking me in the back now where as before, I had to be careful because the tires broke loose so easy. Having the ***-end start sliding sideways on an upshift at 60+mph isn't as fun as people make it out to be:rolleyes:..
(Shocks and suspension movement/control help a lot too, of course..)

View attachment 1166032
From the op's post, he is talking about availability, and shows the M&H or the ET street R. Your SS is a better choice on the street than the R. I'm guessing the SS's are out of stock.

From the op's post, he is talking about availability, and shows the M&H or the ET street R. Your SS is a better choice on the street than the R. I'm guessing the SS's are out of stock.

Summit shows these as 4 weeks out

Auto Transport Service
Back