• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What grit to use???

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
At what grit do you call it quits when getting ready for paint? In other words, your final blocking grit.

Depending on the color, my final sand is with 600 for most colors. I go to 800 if it's black.

Thanks fellas, this gets me going in the right direction.

600 is the finest you should use for all colours with the exception of tri-coats and light mica/pearl colours. Too fine and you lose mechanical adhesion which leads to delamination. It is advisable to paint over the primer surfacer sooner (within a few days if possible) rather than later which helps provides a chemical bond as well to the paint. 800 grit for tri-coats...These are P-grade ratings, not Cami...big difference between the American Cami system and FEPA's P-grade which is the European system and is generally more common.

just askin, does it make any diff if you wet sand or dry sand b4 paint?

Read the tech document on the primer-surfacer that you are using. Some are not supposed to be wet sanded as they will retain moisture. Case in point would be PPG's NCP.

Auto Transport Service
Back