• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to DEF fluid?

joe smith

Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
When I was at Sams club they were out, usually $12 or so.. Found some at Home Depot for $20.. I bought it, thinking is there a fkn shortage of it??

Read online that Urea has doubled in price... Like the metal for my roof.

EVERYTHING'S up, or having shortages.
Needed a gallon of acetone at Lowes this morning.
Holy S#*T
20 Bucks.

I stop at the truck stops they have it in the semi diesel lanes way cheaper around 3 something a gallon here in michigan

It's called inflation, and it's just warming up...

Just in time for the winter season too! Fuel oil, diesel, DEF, food shortages and on and on.....

Was at Sams a couple days ago. Plenty of DEF. didn’t pay attention to the price but thought it $12. I didn’t buy any, just remember seeing the skid next to oils.

Was at Sams a couple days ago. Plenty of DEF. didn’t pay attention to the price but thought it $12. I didn’t buy any, just remember seeing the skid next to oils.
Perhaps I panicked, but I still remember the long lines for gas in 74 and 77

Perhaps I panicked, but I still remember the long lines for gas in 74 and 77
That may have been one skid they’ll have for the rest of the year. I’m going back tomorrow to buy two jugs. Now you have me panicked. :)

Welcome to the United States, post electronic log books, topped by a employment upset of the pandemic.
Driver's have left the business because of the pandemic scares. Now with employment opportunities that you can not have to stay in a truck with a electronic tattletale watching your moves. For 30 years the large trucking companies have been crying about driver shortage, it was a fake shortage of massive turnover they created by being such **** employers. Now the real driver shortage is starting, on top of the strict electronic book restrictions, goods are not moving as quickly.
Manufacturing is slowed and inventories are low, but we have not been this busy as long as I can remember, and choice of higher rate freight without lulls that are usually filled with the low rate freight, so a lot of that junk is just sitting.
I may be wrong, but I'm riding this increasing rate wave as long as I can, and saving for the days when everyone starts holding back and inventories swell back up.

Welcome to the United States, post electronic log books, topped by a employment upset of the pandemic.
Driver's have left the business because of the pandemic scares. Now with emp opportunities that you can not have to stay in a truck with a electronic tattletale watching your moves. For 30 years the large trucking companies have been crying about driver shortage, it was a fake shortage of massive turnover they created by being such **** employers. Now the real driver shortage is starting, on top of the strict electronic book restrictions, goods are not moving as quickly.
Manufacturing is slowed and inventories are low, but we have not been this busy as long as I can remember, and choice of higher rate freight without lulls that are usually filled with the low rate freight, so a lot of that junk is just sitting.
I may be wrong, but I'm riding this increasing rate wave as long as I can, and saving for the days when everyone starts holding back and inventories swell back up.
Totally agree. But one thing I dont understand is how media hypes up that there are no driver when I believe it's truly the drivers took advantage of the situation & went to work where they made more $ (American way). Sure it isn't doing us any favors, but I wudnt blame them if that were the case. My cousin is an OTR truckker & is an owner/operator. He says it crazy the offers he gets to haul, especially cross country... He's making all kinds of $ truckin freight.

Back to the OP, I also use the truck stops and DEF pumps. Fraction of the cost of jugs. And fun to see all the uneducated truckers signaling to me that I'm "in the diesel station" in my Grand Cherokee...like I'm doing something wrong... I just wish I could top off with diesel there, too, but my Grand won't accept a high-flow nozzle like my Cummins will.

At the pump, my Grand Cherokee goes through about $17 a year in DEF. That's one full tank a year.

You don't want to store it too long - just like milk, it can (and will) spoil on the shelf.

(and, technically...it's just "DEF". "DEF fluid" would be diesel exhaust fluid fluid...kinda like "VIN number" is vehicle identification number number...)

Back to the OP, I also use the truck stops and DEF pumps. Fraction of the cost of jugs. And fun to see all the uneducated truckers signaling to me that I'm "in the diesel station" in my Grand Cherokee...like I'm doing something wrong... I just wish I could top off with diesel there, too, but my Grand won't accept a high-flow nozzle like my Cummins will.

At the pump, my Grand Cherokee goes through about $17 a year in DEF. That's one full tank a year.

You don't want to store it too long - just like milk, it can (and will) spoil on the shelf.

(and, technically...it's just "DEF". "DEF fluid" would be diesel exhaust fluid fluid...kinda like "VIN number" is vehicle identification number number...)
So help me here, you can pump it yourself directly into your truck at a Truck stop? That would work...

So help me here, you can pump it yourself directly into your truck at a Truck stop? That would work...
Yes, it's on the same side as you put your card into, the other pump is the satellite pump and usually just has diesel. Might be a problem if you have a passenger side filler neck. You would have to go though the wrong direction, which could be a problem if all the big trucks are lined up on other side.
On another note I would get that crap deleted as soon as your warranty is up, and don't forget to block the EGR on both sides of it's cooler, your rings will love you for a long time.

And it does not like heat. If you store some, you need to watch the temp of the storage area.

I stop at the truck stops they have it in the semi diesel lanes way cheaper around 3 something a gallon here in michigan
It was $2.99 a gallon at the major truck stops (Pilot/Flying J, Petro) forever.
It's now up to $3.19 in just the last 9 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. But one thing I dont understand is how media hypes up that there are no driver when I believe it's truly the drivers took advantage of the situation & went to work where they made more $ (American way). Sure it isn't doing us any favors, but I wudnt blame them if that were the case. My cousin is an OTR truckker & is an owner/operator. He says it crazy the offers he gets to haul, especially cross country... He's making all kinds of $ truckin freight.
As an OTR Owner/Operator, I am loving the increase in freight rates. Short hauls are paying much better than the long hauls. I am heading to Binghamton, N.Y. (475 miles) with steel decking paying $6.35 a mile. I hope the driver shortage lasts forever!!

Auto Transport Service
Back