• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to Paint Remover/Stripper???

Danny Boy

Secret of life is enjoying the passage of time JT
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
I haven't chemically stripped paint from any automotive parts for ~ 1 1/2 years.

Purchased paint stripper this afternoon and "attemped" to strip a small panel (12"x12") factory black paint, not epoxy.

3 coats later and very frustrated that most of paint is still there. Yes, I let it set 2 hours between coats.

Has paint remover/stripper been "dumbed down" like carburetor cleaner?

If so, EPA has struck again and I'm not happy (yes my rant can be moved to the Political Forum if necessary)!!

What brand paint remover/stripper can still be purchased that has the "old" formula?

PS I prefer chemically remove the paint and not use media/sand blast this part

Well that's just great I was going to get some tomorrow. I just got done with a can that I had bought 3 or so months ago. It worked fine. So what is the best junk out there to use.

aircraft stripper used to work great but not anymore.they took the good stuff out of it.i bought some the other day and it's crap.don't waste your money.

I believe it is methylene chloride that was removed as of a year ago or so.

completely worthless now

I'll see of the NAPA product is still available - Thanks
I dealt with the same issue on what ended up being about an entire car... ended up using a polycarbonate wheel on a grinder... zipped paint and primer right off... didnt affect the metal... just keep moving from one place to another to keep heat down... just an alternative to chemical or blasting.

Klean Strip still sells MEK if you want the nuclear option, but the stuff is super nasty and has killed a lot of kidneys. If you do go that route make sure you read the MSDS.

May have to order it, doubtful it can be bought at Home Depot or similar.

I haven't chemically stripped paint from any automotive parts for ~ 1 1/2 years.

Purchased paint stripper this afternoon and "attemped" to strip a small panel (12"x12") factory black paint, not epoxy.

3 coats later and very frustrated that most of paint is still there. Yes, I let it set 2 hours between coats.

Has paint remover/stripper been "dumbed down" like carburetor cleaner?

If so, EPA has struck again and I'm not happy (yes my rant can be moved to the Political Forum if necessary)!!

What brand paint remover/stripper can still be purchased that has the "old" formula?

PS I prefer chemically remove the paint and not use media/sand blast this part
Paint stripper has a shelf life. Maybe you got an old can and the methylene chloride lost its punch ? Return it.

Give the area a scratch with sand paper. (120 grit) apply stripper over top. Then use saran wrap or a wax coated paper (like butcher paper) over top to keep the stripper from drying out. Some paints will gum up. Like water based lacquer , enamels or urethanes will popcorn. And ya. Stripper has a shelf life.

Good stripper to get is Turco aircraft stripper. Its good stuff. Stinks alot,burns the skin quick. But it works very well b

Contacted our local NAPA store and none in stock.

They recommended another auto paint supplier who carries the "good stuff" for $60/gal

Recommend checking you local automotive paint supply before it's all gone. Shelf life an issue??

As and aside, a friend who has done auto body repair all his life (75 years old and still at it) suspects that eventually a certification/license will be required to purchase or shoot paint all part of EPA (I won't rant any more about EPA)

Thanks all

Napa up here requires a licence for there crap. Best place to go is to a aircraft refinishing shop. Get the good stuff not the dizmal stuff. Proform sells a aircraft stripper. But it evaporates And drys out quick .

The good stuff comes in 5 gallon containers (part #0905). The warning label on the back of that product will say it contains methylene chloride, xylenes, and sodium bichromate. It has a very strong odor.

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/pr...berryman-chem-dip-professional-parts-cleaner/

I used to use it when it came in smaller cans. Use protective gear and in a well ventilated area!

Edit: Their safety data sheet lists this:

Section 3 – Composition/Information on Ingredients

Component CAS RN Weight
Methylene Chloride 75-09-2 30-40%
Toluene 108-88-3 8-10%
Cresols (mixed isomers) 1319-77-3 5-10%
Tetrachloroethylene 127-18-4 2-5%
Sodium Dichromate 7789-12-0 <1%

Last edited:
Has your experience been that the carb cleaner works?
Is it the same as the "old" cleaners?
Many thanks
The good stuff comes in 5 gallon containers (part #0905). The warning label on the back of that product will say it contains methylene chloride, xylenes, and sodium bichromate. It has a very strong odor

Has your experience been that the carb cleaner works?
Is it the same as the "old" cleaners?
Many thanks

I haven't used Berryman's B12 carb cleaner since 1991. It worked better than anything on the market at that time. I believe it contained xylene which is a great solvent.

The other Berryman's product I mentioned is phenomenally good for cleaning parts. It is also good for stripping paint.

Same thing in my industry with powder coating stripper, only available to real shops now (not Yeti Cup Moms with toaster ovens) with verifiable business addresses. It's $185 plus shipping for five gallons.

It has gone up a little bit:D

Auto Transport Service
Back