• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What headers should I buy?

Btaylor

Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 roadrunner that I'm putting a 440 in it. It will be about 500 hp. I'm looking for an economical set of headers yet I'm not looking for the cheapest thing out there.
Questions: Size 1 7/8, 2 ???
Gauge
Ceramic coated
Brands

1 7/8 should be fine, i actually think 1 3/4 are rated to 550 hp.. not entirely sure of that..LOL
dont get cheap ones... fitment issues are common but there is one brand that seems to work best but are SS and like $875.. just cant think of them right now..LOL but someone will chime in with the name

TTI hands down. Costly but fit perfect.

I have a 1969 roadrunner that I'm putting a 440 in it. It will be about 500 hp. I'm looking for an economical set of headers yet I'm not looking for the cheapest thing out there.
Questions: Size 1 7/8, 2 ???
Gauge
Ceramic coated
Brands

anyone else used dnyomax cyclone headers? i had good luck with them and used the same set on a 383 and later a 413 in the same car with no issues IIR

of course i put them on 30 years ago and they lasted at least 10 years before i took them off and put HP manifold back on.

For less money, you might check summit reaching. Look for your app. in a headman brand. There ceramic coated are about 380 bucks, backspace same flange thickness as tti headers. Also there tubes are thicker (14 gauge vs 16 gauge). I haven't checked for 69 road runner yet.

TTI's. Ceramic. Polished. Have them for 7 years. Get your wallet. Slammed and scraped. Still good. I will get the same next time.

These are Hedman 1-3/4 headers I used on my 500 hp 440. They were not real costly and worked ok. Ron

220000192.gif

- - - Updated - - -

These are 2" TTI's I use on my 440/493 and they are the best headers I have ever used. But they are not cheap. Ron

100_1753.jpg

Good headers arent cheap. Cost on the 2" Stainless for my car were $900.. sale price is $1100

I decided to follow the TTI suggestions. Motor dynoed at 450hp/512ft lbs so I decided to go with the 1-3/4" headers. I think they look great...can't wait to hear what it sounds like (full TTI system with Dynomax mufflers and the TTI slotted tips). 71ChargerMotorInOct2012.jpg

I went with Hooker. I should've spent the money and gone with TTI or something else. There's a fitment issue with the power steering box. A little massaging got everything jiving though. You get what you pay for with headers.

Just the steering box? I had steering linkage,tranny(auto) pas side. I had no problems with the box itself. I guess hooker just screws up each set individually so each and every set is a pain in the arse. Their warranty and customer assistance is zip zero nada. Wouldn't buy em again if they were the only manufacturer!

I originally had the Hedman 1 3/4 tubes. Driver side tube didn't clear steering box at all. Had to smash a tube square to fit. It was a pain.... Bought Hooker competition 1 7/8, no issue at all.
HOK-5903HKR Black painted 259.95 at Summit Racing

HOK-5903-1HKR Ceramic coated 469.95 at Summit Racing

1 7/8" are fine.

No need to pay big dollars.

I have been researching this same thing for over a month and have heard stories of having to tweek (dimple) the expensive TTIs. So if there is a chance of that I am buying the Hooker 1 7/8" Summit number 5903HKR for $259.95 with free shipping for my 523" stroker. They also have free shipping.

I'm going with Hedman's on my 440 in my Charger. Also heard good things about TTI.

But a word of warning, I've heard just about nothing but horror stories about Hooker headers on 440's. Having to notch frame for clearance, burning plug wires, etc.

As far as coatings, I think they're kind of hit-or-miss. My friend had fancy coated hookers on his roadrunner (which he ended up replacing with stock manifolds) and they started rusting just sitting in a car trailer. :shruggy:

I'm just going to paint my Hedmans with some silver high-temp. Also take note of what type of starter needs to be used with whatever headers you end up going with.

- - - Updated - - -

But as you can see from everyone posting, everyone's had different experiences with the same brands haha. I was told the hedmans cleared fine on the charger they were on before mine. Seems like I hear the most positive reviews about TTI though.

- - - Updated - - -

Their warranty and customer assistance is zip zero nada. Wouldn't buy em again if they were the only manufacturer!

Exactly what my friend with the Roadrunner said.

Auto Transport Service
Back