• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Home Depot Lincoln Welder to buy?

66plysat

Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
I have several Home Depot gift cards and I'm looking to use them to buy a welder. I'm looking to learn how to weld so I can do some of the repairs on my car as needed. I'm needing to know what size and style welder I should look for in a welder. Home Depot offers several Lincoln welders of different sizes and styles, wire fed, gas etc. What would you recommend. By the way I don't have 220v at my house only 110.
Thanks for your input-

I weld with Lincoln products and they are good overall. While I use bigger machines a friend of mine has the Model # K2514-1 weldpak 140 which runs on 110. He is just learning too and the machine puts out some nice welds. He is using a argon/co2 and .030 wire. If you are going to weld car bodies use .025 wire. The key to doing anything is train, practice, repeat. Get an old fender and find out what amperage and travel speed works best for YOU. There are lots of instructional vids around.

[video=youtube_share;HVZynf3Wbok]http://youtu.be/HVZynf3Wbok[/video]

I have the 110v 140 amp Lincoln wire welder. I bought it at HD about three years ago. I have only used flux core wire and haven't done any sheet metal work with it. I am a certified welder and it has done a good job for me welding railings for a deck on a house and stuff like that.

I have the same welder dinosam mentioned. I weld a lot at my work (big Miller) and I got my little Lincoln for $60.00 some kid bought it new for $500 and tryed his hand at welding and the unit got jamed, be took it to me asked if I could fix it or use it for anything told me he would take $60.00 for it , it was running flux core (don't use on sheet metal looks like crap ) I got a harbour frate reg. And a bottle of gas and ,I must say that little weld Pac is still going strong and beautiful welds also ,there great for around the garage, I probably wouldn't put it threw a 9 hr welding party with out a brake for the little unit ,but overall a great unit I'd buy another if this one ever quits .

I have the Lincoln 180 dual and just love it. I run mine on 220, but it comes with a 120 volt cord also.

Due to an electrical issue, I had to have my electrical panel upgraded. During the upgrade I had them add a 220 line. Is there an advantage of a 220 welder over a 110 welder? Seeing hunt2elk's post, he has a 180 dual that can be powered by 220 or 110. Does running it 220 offer more options, it's kinda confusing to a welding noobie. Any info provide is appreciated, thanks.

IMO, Focus your purchase on the type of items you expect work on. You will want the gas option as opposed to flux core only. Check the welders capabilities and do a search for any issues with the welder(s) you are considering. At least you'll have an idea of potential problems going in.
220 should be able to handle larger material for one and may or may not be a little cheaper on the electric bill. This chart is from a Hobart MVP.............

HobMVP.jpg

Sounds like you will be getting a 110, Like others posted get the gas welder not the flux core.
One thing that will make a difference in your 110 welders performance is the circuit amps & wire gauge of any power source you use.

10 gauge wire and a 20 amp rate outlet , plus if you use a extension cord to move the welder around the shop get a 10 gauge cord or make one up with 20 amp ends.

I use Harbor Freight Chicago electric Mig 170 at my house. I think I paid 150.00 for it with a coupon . Used it quite a bit works fine pretty bare bones. The Argon tank cost more that the welder. That's something , If you get a 60cf size tank it will cost over 200.00 and around 40.00 to fill each time if I remember that bill correctly. It lasts way longer than the 20cf tanks. 20 Cf empty tanks are like 80 dollars and probably in the 20 dollar range to fill.

I have several Home Depot gift cards and I'm looking to use them to buy a welder. I'm looking to learn how to weld so I can do some of the repairs on my car as needed. I'm needing to know what size and style welder I should look for in a welder. Home Depot offers several Lincoln welders of different sizes and styles, wire fed, gas etc. What would you recommend. By the way I don't have 220v at my house only 110.
Thanks for your input-

My experience with big box store welders are not good. I bought a Lincoln from Home Depot and it was a disaster. The feed mechanism was mostly plastic and the feed would continually stick. I tried changing liners in the cable and ordering new rollers, and different types of wire. Went to a welding supply store and they told me the big box store welders have issues because the parts are slightly different to keep costs down. I finally sold it and saved for a miller..I felt born again as a novice welder. I would say save the money up and get a millermatic. They make the dual voltage output models so you can run off 220 or 110. This is just my opinion based off my experience.

Craig

Make sure that the plug has enough current available to it and that its not on the end of the electrical run. For a 110v, it needs to be a 30 amp service. 220 should be 100. If you get a 220 unit, test your service before hand to see what the voltage is. If its 210 or less, you will fry the unit from lack of voltage. Choose the welder according to the available voltage. I had an SP110 Lincoln unit that had a hard time welding sheetmetal with any penetration. Found out the plug I had it on was the last one in the run. Hooked it to the first one and I looked like a pro.

I use a Lincoln SP 135 Plus, but it's no longer a current model. It's been bullet proof and makes a fantastic weld. I have a friend that has the equivalent Miller, and I don't think you could really tell much apart from them in terms of quality of weld. The torches are both nice, but they are different between brands (at least to my feel), so it may make sense to put your hands on the torches and see what you prefer. I know I much prefer the feel of the Lincoln.

There are two things I'd recommend if you plan on working on car type jobs (1/4" plate or thinner material). First, the 120 volt is plenty of juice, and I've never had to turn mine up all the way even with slightly less amps than the new ones have (135 vs 140). A 120 volt welder is just more flexible if you have to go somewhere to use it away from the garage, and I have yet to run into a time that being 120 volts has hampered my efforts to get something done. On the other hand, 220 volts is great in the garage, but not so great behind the house at your shed or at your buddy's house who has no 220 available. Either get a dual voltage model or stick with 110 volts for your first welder.

Lastly, spend the extra and get a model with continuous voltage adjustment. That's the difference between a good 110 volt welder and a bad one. There are many times where adjusting my voltage down by 1/3 of a step between letter marks on the dial cleans up the weld significantly and the pool is just right. If you get a voltage dial with steps, you'll find yourself wondering why the welds aren't quite as clean as your buddy who does have continuous voltage adjustment.

In addition to my Lincoln MIG, I also have an AlphaTIG 200 (2015 version) which has been stellar. I mention this because I believe they are selling AlphaTIG through Home Depot online. While I use my MIG for welding parts together (such as installing a floor pan, etc), I use the TIG for repairing panels and filling voids in panels. It's much more precise than a MIG and you have exponentially more control over puddle, which allows you to actually build metal into holes without burning through the existing metal. TIG is a little slow for tack (or spot as it's often incorrectly called) welding panels together.

Due to my recent experience with the AlphaTIG, which has been very positive with a good deal of use (been through a few bottles of Argon), I would not rule out their MIG welder either. They make a nice looking little 110v that I believe has continuous voltage adjustment and otherwise seems to be as well made as their TIG. It would be a good deal if it holds up, but I know that I like my Lincoln enough that I may still rather pay double for it. If I were on a budget, I would probably be very willing to give the Alpha MIG a chance over a Lincoln, Hobart or Miller without continuous voltage. I just feel that step voltage is a deal breaker for any MIG and highly recommend staying away from a step voltage model from any brand.

Good luck!

thought that I would add this for anyone to view [video]https://youtu.be/Iju5tHB2UCc[/video]

Auto Transport Service
Back