• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a good adhesive for dash caps?

ramairthree

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
I am going to put one on the RR and was thinking RTV gasket maker might do the trick.

My last project I used carpet spray adhesive for the headliner and that did not work so well. Even though it said high temp kind.

Would gasket maker be good for a headliner too?thanks

Mine came with a tube of stuff. I haven't installed it, though.

There's some glue called "GOOP" and it comes in different formulations, like Plumbers, Automotive, Carpenters, etc, but I've never found the difference between them. As far as a general purpose adhesive, this stuff is GREAT! It's like a clear silicone based, extremely sticky, and very close to what they supplied in the tube that came with the dash cap I used. When I first found this stuff, I re-made about half of the air intake elbow on an 85 BMW 325E, and it kept the existing pieces in place, filled in some large missing pieces with some masking tape as backin till it set up, and then once I started using it, I drove that BMW with that repair for over 4 years before I sold it. I always have a tube of it handy in the garage, it'll bond about anything you can think of to anything else. I could tell you more stories about it, but I won't, I'll just say that I can't recommend it highly enough, and I'd use it to put a dash cap on in a heart beat. Flexible, so heat expansion and contraction aren't going to effect it, just get it nice and clean, and all the oils gone and lay a nice bead on the topper like the instructions said.

I got one on mine and i used the adhevsive that came with it best i remember they say just put some in middle and ends because from what i have seen these things expand when hot and if you try to glue the whole thing down you'll end up with it wrinkled up like a wadded up pair of jeans, it's got to be able to expand and retract due to heat.

thanks for the info.

have any of you put one in a 74 RR?
I was test fitting it, and man, that part that has to go around the brown trim rectangle with the RR symbol on the passenger side just won't fit.

do you trim a little off the existing dash pad, or just off the cap?

The dash trim panel has to be removed or it will not look right, plus it holds the cap down along the front.

I put one on my '71, and I had to trim the dash cap a little to make it fit. You did remove all parts of the dash that was cracked and sticking up didn't you? And I sure hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. Within the first year it had dulled out and chalked, and split in two place.

The dash trim panel has to be removed or it will not look right, plus it holds the cap down along the front.

thanks, what is the trick to that without breaking it?

Auto Transport Service
Back