• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a good Street Tire for 17 Inch Wheels

hd4406z

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
I have been looking at other B Bodies with 17 inch Tires and seen so many different brands so trying to get a feel on what to install as I would like them to grip and not produce much road noise as well as not wear quickly besides the mandatory burn outs. This on a 1968 Charger engine to be installed is a 512 mated to a 5 spd Tremec. I upgraded the front suspension to tubular an with plans to even go 4 link in the rear so it should handle corners a lot better than it used to. sizes I am looking are 235/45/R17 for Front and 275/40/R17 rear. I have heard good things about 3 tires so far for what I am wanting BF Goodrich Sports Comp, Mickey Thompson street comp and Pirelli P Zero Nero GT. Can anyone recommend any tires and not break the bank.

Last edited:
Nitto seams to be the #1 choice by most although I couldn't find a Nitto in the size I needed and went with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval GT's. They're a summer performance tire and so far I'm really happy with them, quite, seam to have good tread wear and hook up well. Falken is another I'd look into.

Nitto seams to be the #1 choice by most although I couldn't find a Nitto in the size I needed and went with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval GT's. They're a summer performance tire and so far I'm really happy with them, quite, seam to have good tread wear and hook up well. Falken is another I'd look into.
Thanks I thought about the Firehawk Wide Oval as I have used them before on my T/As

I have 17" Nittos and have been happy with them
I see you went with the 285 in the rear what clearance issues do you have? I currently have N50-15 on the rear on Crager SST 10'' rims and it doesn't offer any forgiveness I have now 17'' Magnum 500 with a 5.12 back space hoping that would be enough to have a wide tire and not rub.

I run BFG Sport Comp II on both my GTX and my 2013 Charger Daytona, which is my daily driver. Very quiet on both cars, could not believe the difference in handling on the Charger when I got rid of the pos Firehawks it came from the factory with.

I run BFG Sport Comp II on both my GTX and my 2013 Charger Daytona, which is my daily driver. Very quiet on both cars, could not believe the difference in handling on the Charger when I got rid of the pos Firehawks it came from the factory with.
Oh that's good to know as well, My 2013 Daytona came with Goodyears Eagle RS and I hate the way it handles as well. I guess the Factory was just throwing tires on them.

The GTX handles extremely well also. I recently had it on a 2 1/2 mile road course and the thing was a slot car! The tires didn't even show wear after about 10 laps. The left front had some "fuzzies" right down the cehnter of the tire but after they wore off there was not noticeable excessive wear. The GTX has 7200 miles on it and the tires hardly look worn.....yes I have "smoked" them several times.

I'm running 245\45\17 Nitto NT555 extreme Dr on the front and 295\45\17 on the rear. All on boss wheels

Dana 60 rear end made to 68- 70 b body width and. Dr. Diff. Spring relocation kit, the rears are 18 inch not 17s. Damn fat fingers. Not issues with tire rub.

I had BFG G-force Super Sport A/S on my Turbo GTC for around 3 years, daily driving, drag strip nearly every week for 1 summer, tons of roll races up to 110-120mph, several mountain runs. Pretty much the best set of tires I've ever owned so far. Lasted very well, had good grip rain, snow or shine. Excellent all-round, all-season tire IMO. They are worn out now but still holding air and keeping it off the ground while I swap drivetrains :)

I see you went with the 285 in the rear what clearance issues do you have? I currently have N50-15 on the rear on Crager SST 10'' rims and it doesn't offer any forgiveness I have now 17'' Magnum 500 with a 5.12 back space hoping that would be enough to have a wide tire and not rub.

plenty of room left with the 285's. actually going to 305's on my new wheels

I use a 235/55-17 up front and a 315/45-17 in the rear. Front tires are just generic stuff, rears are Goodyear supercar tires.
DSC_1169 (Large).JPG

The Michelin Pilot tires get great reviews, as do the Dunlop Direzza.

The Falken Azenis rt615K is also a favorite.
I went with the Nitto NT-05 tires because they were available in the same size as the Nitto 555 tires that I was replacing. The NT05s have a softer compound and do perform a bit better. They bite better from a start, that is for sure. I used to be able to peel out even with a light foot, not so with these tires.

Auto Transport Service
Back