• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is A12?

Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance. I've had mopars all my life. My 1st car was a Ply Fury 2dr hardtop. I've had 'Cudas, RoadRunners, Station wagons, Vans, Chargers and a classic Power Wagon to 4X4 crewcabs, and Gen III Hemis, but I don't know what A12 means.

'69 1/2 Roadrunner or Super Bee w/440 six pack and lift off hood. Heavy duty rear.

A12RoadRunner_1200.jpg

dodge-00010-1.jpg

They were 1969 1/2 (mid year) packages for Plymouth Roadrunners & Dodge Super Bees. 390hp 440 engine w 3 2bbl(six pack(Dodge) six bbl(plymouth)) carbs, a fresh air lift off fibreglass hood, 15x6 black HD wheels and a 4.10 Dana rear.

No A.C and all Get up and GO ! From what I know thay was bult by Ma mopar to get into the super stock ranks.
I would LOVE to find one and restore it to factory spec's. YES I said it FACTORY SPEC's !!
Anyone who knows me knows I am NOT a factroy spec kinda guy ! LOL!!!:icon_rolleyes:

They were 1969 1/2 (mid year) packages for Plymouth Roadrunners & Dodge Super Bees. 390hp 440 engine w 3 2bbl(six pack(Dodge) six bbl(plymouth)) carbs, a fresh air lift off fibreglass hood, 15x6 black HD wheels and a 4.10 Dana rear.

... and they actually turned a faster 1/4 mile time than their Hemi counterparts. :headbang:

To add, I believe they were all made from the lynch road plant. I love them, trying to sort of model my 69 rr after one and I say sort of lol not clone and maybe tribute if just the hood counts lol. Anyway one of the most sought after option codes out there and one of the most expensive.

A12 Option code. The six pack option is denoted in the VIN by the fifth digit of "M". Lift-off cars, as they are commonly referred to, were available in both hard tops (WM23M) and coupes (WM21M). They made 1487 hard tops (661 auto and 826 4-spd) and 420 coupes (153 auto and 267 4-spd).

The option code for six pack cars (A12) consists of the following items. The A12 option replaces the 383 4bbl with a 440 3-2bbl engine, including three 2bbl carburetors on top of an Edelbrock aluminum intake. A Hemi 4-speed transmission is standard with the 727 Hemi automatic being available as an option. The drive train upgrade also includes 26-inch radiator with a 7-blade torque drive fan. Also included is the 9-3/4 Dana (410 gear ratio) rear end and four-wheel 11-inch drum brakes. Disks are not available.

A no-gloss black fiberglass hood pinned at each corner and a functional air scoop is part of the package. Because of the large breather assembly, a 3-speed wiper motor was also included. 15" x 6" JJ rims with 15-inch red-streak tires were the only tire and wheel combination available.

With the mid-year introduction of the lift-off cars came four new high-impact colors: Hemi orange (V2), bright red (R4), bright green (F6), and yellow (which was a write-in option)

Taken directly from my website. www.sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com

KID

Hemi's are cool and most mopar people love them. But for my a 440 Wedge is the ticket !! Stock for stock (configureation) it was King . Just my 2 cents so don't get your paintys in a bunch ! LOL !!

Hemi's are cool and most mopar people love them. But for my a 440 Wedge is the ticket !! Stock for stock (configureation) it was King . Just my 2 cents so don't get your paintys in a bunch ! LOL !!

Oh, they're bunched. They are freakin' bunched. JK. lol.

With the mid-year introduction of the lift-off cars came four new high-impact colors: Hemi orange (V2), bright red (R4), bright green (F6), and yellow (which was a write-in option)

KID

The statements about colors coming out with the release of A12 is often repeated...and incorrect. F6 was available well before the A12 cars. So was Rallye Green (97, 97E, 99) for Road Runners as well as R4. Examples of all three colors can be found at least as early as January. They were relatively 'new' colors but the were already out there before the A12 cars.

Oh, they're bunched. They are freakin' bunched. JK. lol.
Oh I KNEW I would bunch your drawers !!! LMFAO ! Just saying thats all. Plus with the cost of the Elephant motors a 440 is a good side step for POWER !

Oh I KNEW I would bunch your drawers !!! LMFAO ! Just saying thats all. Plus with the cost of the Elephant motors a 440 is a good side step for POWER !
Hey, truth hurts. For what a hemi costs you could build a 440 that runs circles around it.

The statements about colors coming out with the release of A12 is often repeated...and incorrect. F6 was available well before the A12 cars. So was Rallye Green (97, 97E, 99) for Road Runners as well as R4. Examples of all three colors can be found at least as early as January. They were relatively 'new' colors but the were already out there before the A12 cars.

What you are claiming is true that some colors could be had prior to the intro of the A12 cars release; however my statement is true. The four colors were introduced to the public along with the A12 package. It falls in the same category as the misconception that 12s were only available in the four colors.
KID

YEP ! I like the Hemi but 440 is my ticket to ride. I had 426 parts come through the shop but sold them for RB parts. If you have one thats great ! But if your starting out with low cash and nothing ya gotta look for the best bang for the buck.

What you are claiming is true that some colors could be had prior to the intro of the A12 cars release; however my statement is true. The four colors were introduced to the public along with the A12 package. It falls in the same category as the misconception that 12s were only available in the four colors.
KID

Three of the four colors were released mid year. They had already been introduced to the public before the A12s came out. They were 'newer' and great colors to match with the image of the A12s so I can see why Chrysler wanted to promote them with the cars but they were not 'new' with the release of the A12s.

It's often presented that the release of the colors are linked to the release of the A12s as if the colors had never been available before that.

Auto Transport Service
Back