• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it about driving our older rides?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if my old Mopar is magnetic attracting traffic around me closer, especially from the rear. It's routine for people in their friggin SUV's, mini-vans, and pepper grinders, to ride up my ***! It matters not if I'm going 5-10-or more over the speed limit. And I see this with my buddy's in their old rides when we're going to car shows or cruising.
Just WTF is it?
Do others think we don't belong on the road? Or they think our vintage cars are not able to keep up with their ******* Nissan's, Toyota's, or Kia's? Or maybe they think we're only joyriding, and as such, we should pull over to let them pass, since they must be more important. I have a friend of a friend have his cherry '69 Runner totaled soon after he got his new motor in. The woman that T-boned him running, her red light, said "didn't you see me"? Tell ya, I have no clue just how pissed I might be if some reckless schmuck ruins my car..

I feel your pain. It's either A) they want a closer look at your ultra-cool Mopar or B) they're just douchebag drivers and tailgate everyone

I feel your pain. It's either A) they want a closer look at your ultra-cool Mopar or B) they're just douchebag drivers and tailgate everyone
Good point but when I look at many of these drivers in the mirror they likely don't know a wing nut from a lug nut or have the brain of one of these types of nuts..lol

I think everyone should have to drive for a year a manual shift, manual drum non ac, 68 Newport......

I too ran into the same issues you mention......I had to adjust my cruising hours to avoid these idiots on the road......riding my tail, cutting me off, getting door to door, the fast n furious racers......

Maybe we should all add a push-button wire going to our brake switches???

I think that we're more conscience of our surroundings when driving our Baby. They are the same idiots when we're driving our daily vehicles, you just don't pay as much attention to them. Try riding a motorcycle! Be vigilant, defensive.

It's not just classics. I did an experiment during my daily commute on a winding 2 lane road a few years ago. Without fail, everyday someone would feel the need to draft on me, even though I was going the speed limit. One day I decided to see how fast I could go with someone a car length off my tail. I got up to 65 in a 45 zone. I'm sure they would have followed me up to 90, which I would have tried with a better handling car.

These days, I just go the speed limit and let the fast and furious pass me on the double yellow, around a curve, on the shoulder (not kidding) while cranking out Foghat's Slow Ride. :)

It's not just classics. I did an experiment during my daily commute on a winding 2 lane road a few years ago. Without fail, everyday someone would feel the need to draft on me, even though I was going the speed limit. One day I decided to see how fast I could go with someone a car length off my tail. I got up to 65 in a 45 zone. I'm sure they would have followed me up to 90, which I would have tried with a better handling car.

These days, I just go the speed limit and let the fast and furious pass me on the double yellow, around a curve, on the shoulder (not kidding) while cranking out Foghat's Slow Ride. :)

I did an experiment with tailgaters too. Look closely in your rearview and see if they are looking down. These idiots are texting! Hooking up to a car in front in order to stay on the road. Let off the gas without touching the brake and watch them look up and slam on their brakes. :realcrazy:

Some are videoing with their phones. When you hear an ugly buzz, it’s usually a Stang going nuts to get ahead of you. Same all over.

This topic needs a lot more discussion. For about 5 years, I have had to adjust my hours for driving my 3 muscle cars. I drive them for the same reason I drove them in the 70's.... FUN! We get paced, followed, honked at, yelled at.....I mean WTF over, please go to a cruise/car show, they will REALLY lose it! My own daughter rear ended someone this way. Not worth risking an accident. Look around you in any long line, in any store next time. These are the same people next to you on the road. . . Thumbs up used to be the norm.

Just richen the fuel mixture a bit, let their eyes water ......
I don't care about people behind me, I just keep my distance up front. The car riding your rear bumper will most likely be able to out brake your classic if **** went south.

I've noticed that most people have never seen , in my case a 65 coronet and speed up to have a look. Many are to young to have seen them on an every day basis and wonder what the hell is it. The older people remember and try to get a real up close look. Either way I'm always ready to get out of there way. I drive my 65 with much more caution than my daily driver. If I have to my 65 can drive right out of their lifes, that really leaves them wondering!! The world is full of ******** and we have to learn how to deal with it case by case.

I plan to wear mine out, so I don’t adjust driving times or places much. Take it to work in drive time freeway on occasion, drive it yearound here. That’s why I have JC Taylor. Park at Safeway.

Just richen the fuel mixture a bit, let their eyes water ......
I don't care about people behind me, I just keep my distance up front. The car riding your rear bumper will most likely be able to out brake your classic if **** went south.
If they're paying attention to what's happening in front of them.

Some are videoing with their phones. When you hear an ugly buzz, it’s usually a Stang going nuts to get ahead of you. Same all over.

I find it's usually blue Subarus.

Old cars, barely have visible rear lighting. Put a flasher in your brake lights[like motorcycles] and LED light-source..

Old cars, barely have visible rear lighting. Put a flasher in your brake lights[like motorcycles] and LED light-source..

Or a trunk-mounted version of this...
7b359b5479cae2b70e86f45d8a77ba34.jpg

I sometimes wonder if my old Mopar is magnetic attracting traffic around me closer, especially from the rear. It's routine for people in their friggin SUV's, mini-vans, and pepper grinders, to ride up my ***! It matters not if I'm going 5-10-or more over the speed limit. And I see this with my buddy's in their old rides when we're going to car shows or cruising.
Just WTF is it?
Do others think we don't belong on the road? Or they think our vintage cars are not able to keep up with their ******* Nissan's, Toyota's, or Kia's? Or maybe they think we're only joyriding, and as such, we should pull over to let them pass, since they must be more important. I have a friend of a friend have his cherry '69 Runner totaled soon after he got his new motor in. The woman that T-boned him running, her red light, said "didn't you see me"? Tell ya, I have no clue just how pissed I might be if some reckless schmuck ruins my car..

When I had the Ford GT 10 years ago, that was a tough car to drive on the highway because everyone else was always driving nutty to get up close to see it. Then they'd be hanging next to me snapping pictures. But by them doing so, sometimes they were boxing me in when I'd come up against a slower car in front of me. It was nuts!

Auto Transport Service
Back