• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it worth? How to determine pricing on parts ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:41 AM
Reaction score
I understand that there is a rule about promoting your own parts or cars for sale in this General Discussion forum but I have a few things I'd like to sell but am unsure of their value. Please respond if you have a suggestion on what price I should ask for the following items.

* Rebuilt with very low miles 518 overdrive transmission, actually a 46RE, electronic. It has diesel 618 internals, new lockup converter and 8 bolt SFI flexplate for a 5.7/6.1/6.4 3G Hemi.
Will need a stand alone controller for the OD and lockup converter function.
* Mid 60s A body 833 4 speed, Ball and Trunnion type with bell housing, clutch assembly, shifter, complete.
* 65 Barracuda grille.
* 65 Valiant grille.
* 64-64 Barracuda trunklids
* 63-66 A body K members.
* 65 A body metal 2 piece fan shrouds.
* 70s era Big block 727 transmissions.
* 1965 Plymouth Fury parts:
NEW windshield gasket, door weatherstrips, NOS dash pieces/gauges, 14" spinner hubcaps.

I have sold plenty of things at swap meets but usually they are fenders, doors and later A body parts 67-76. I don't intend to retire on the money but I don't want to give it away either.
Thanks for any help that you might provide.

Kern Dog I believe you should price them to what you want for them. I price my stuff and try to be fair and to help others.

I'll surf ebay sometimes to see what my part is selling for.
Agree, or on FBBO, or FABO.
It all depends on how bad you want to clear space in the shop.
Put a price on it that's 20% below market if you want to move it, ask what the market is giving for it and expect to sit on it for while.

id like to know what value those 2 transmissions have..
and how long the tailshaft on the ball and trunnion is.
specifically looking to swap a 63 auto to manual.

I have an A833 A body 4 speed out of a 1965 273 valiant, with the drive shaft... I’d sell it too. Interested in value$. Then will make a good price to move it.

id like to know what value those 2 transmissions have..
and how long the tailshaft on the ball and trunnion is.
specifically looking to swap a 63 auto to manual.
The A-Body transmission looks remarkably similar to the regular slip yoke type but has a bolt on flange. I have a drive shaft for it that eliminates the Ball and trunnion and replaces it with a slip/spline. It was in a 65 Valiant with a 340/904/8.75 setup.
I have sold regular A body 4 speeds bare without a bell or anything for $450 and up. These older ones have less of a demand but should still have value. I asked around and found that it isn't hard to convert them to a slip yoke design....I just have not been motivated to convert this one. I may or may not use it in a 65 Valiant convertible project.

With that B&T conversion drive shaft along with the 833 I would think $600 on the low side. The shaft that I had done cost me $300 alone at a local shop.
727 cores, the local Mopar guy sells them for $200. My 2 cents.

Kern dog, The ball and trunion is a lot harder to find than the slip shaft style, hence actually pretty rare. There are lots of folks trying to keep their 65 and down cars original. I don’t think it’s really worth anything less especially if you have the driveshaft.

I thought when you convert you have to take it apart and change the whole main shaft along with the tail section etc to accommodate the slop yolk style as well as buy or have the yolk. it’s not quite as easy as unbolting one and installing the other..?

With yours, complete clutch, bellhousing, shifter is maybe around a $1000? The bellhousing alone is ~300, trans, 500, clutch (don’t place much value ona used clutch) and shifter minimum 200 = 1k? Sell the driveshaft separate. Maybe I’m low? High? Anyone?

Anyway, not 100% sure about values but think that this may be close, anyone else have input Here?

Craigslist 727/904 cores are regularly seen around here for 100-150.

The A-Body transmission looks remarkably similar to the regular slip yoke type but has a bolt on flange. I have a drive shaft for it that eliminates the Ball and trunnion and replaces it with a slip/spline. It was in a 65 Valiant with a 340/904/8.75 setup.
I have sold regular A body 4 speeds bare without a bell or anything for $450 and up. These older ones have less of a demand but should still have value. I asked around and found that it isn't hard to convert them to a slip yoke design....I just have not been motivated to convert this one. I may or may not use it in a 65 Valiant convertible project.

ty.
im still wondering tho,how long is the transmission itself < case + tailshaft = >
you say it came out of an A body and im trying to get a setup for the 64 anniversary polara.
i thought? the b bodies used a longer tailshaft?
the 65 formula cuda is in storage and buried so i cant go look at the 4 speed in that.

on the other trans,i think the overdrive is worth more than the 4 speed,
but,i know nothing soooo ?

ty.
im still wondering tho,how long is the transmission itself < case + tailshaft = >
you say it came out of an A body and im trying to get a setup for the 64 anniversary polara.
i thought? the b bodies used a longer tailshaft?
the 65 formula cuda is in storage and buried so i cant go look at the 4 speed in that.

on the other trans,i think the overdrive is worth more than the 4 speed,
but,i know nothing soooo ?

It’s not Not long enough to put in the polara. Longer tail shaft on b body and I think a different mount location and shifter location too

Ball and trunion falls into the "rare but not desirable" category with it's limited market.

The same answer applies to cars (and it's NOT "whatever the buyer will pay")-

keep checking craigslist, ebay, and local swap meets (and FxBO)
after a while you will figure out what price will move them while getting a decent return

also be aware that asking prices are not necessarily selling prices

Auto Transport Service
Back