• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Original A990 or A884

JPrusinows

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
hey guys,

amazing how the smallest things become the biggest arguments! our club argument of the week. Did the A884 or A990 cars have the back seat hooks on the floor still? My dad who is 80 and had a 64 A884 says they left them in (as they were part of the initial body pan build and no way did they go back and cut or grind these out). any buddy building a tribute or restoring these things cuts them out and adds a longer carpet. my dad says that is incorrect and the hooks were left in with another small carpet added?

lots of hot stove friendly wagering on this one!
ovM5vk0jfmnIPK3rIpTMjHomg=w1204-h903-no?authuser=0.jpg

Thoughts?

Don't know for sure but I would bet they were there. When we restored the Dave Strickler AWB car we had the original instruction sheets from Chrysler sent to Amblewagon. It didn't show removing any brackets for the jack in the trunk. I remember because I was getting ready to cut them off the replacement floor. Honestly don't remember about the interior. But I was sure surprised they left the original stuff in the trunk. But hen S?s cars at one time had to have a spare?
Doug

Don't know for sure but I would bet they were there. When we restored the Dave Strickler AWB car we had the original instruction sheets from Chrysler sent to Amblewagon. It didn't show removing any brackets for the jack in the trunk. I remember because I was getting ready to cut them off the replacement floor. Honestly don't remember about the interior. But I was sure surprised they left the original stuff in the trunk. But hen S?s cars at one time had to have a spare?
Doug
This is an interesting subject without necessarily a clear answer that hinges on clear memories. Those seat anchor parts based on their exact positioning were spot welded obviously at some point in the organized assembly run of the floor sections. I would doubt that the assembly would stop for a deletion of a 6 ounce part. I don't think they were thinking that deep back then as apposed to what some of us are doing now. LOL.
Parts that were hand assembled/installed were deleted all together such as sun visors, arm rests, coat hooks, interior roof lighting and wiring, etc, etc.
Speaking of interior roof lighting. Did ya'll know that the one little detail that reveals a fake or real A-864 or A-990 would be the door pinch roof light switch hole in the door jam. The factory punches the hole, but it should not have any threads since a pinch switch would not have been installed because of the deletion of roof head lighting in those cars. Threads in the hole mean either a re-body or a real fake.

Speaking of interior roof lighting. Did ya'll know that the one little detail that reveals a fake or real A-864 or A-990 would be the door pinch roof light switch hole in the door jam. The factory punches the hole, but it should not have any threads since a pinch switch would not have been installed because of the deletion of roof head lighting in those cars. Threads in the hole mean either a re-body or a real fake. {quote}

I was told the same for the weld nut in the inner fender for the front battery tray.
Doug

Thanks for the replies guys. It’s about as clear as mud! Just thought it was a fun topic and my dad has a trap door memory for 80 years old! We grew up in Detroit and he was a die maker and engineer for 45 years! He says no way they made a special pan and those brackets would have already been on there. We already know they didn’t make a special longer carpet they just seeed another piece on! Lol

Thanks for the replies guys. It’s about as clear as mud! Just thought it was a fun topic and my dad has a trap door memory for 80 years old! We grew up in Detroit and he was a die maker and engineer for 45 years! He says no way they made a special pan and those brackets would have already been on there. We already know they didn’t make a special longer carpet they just seeed another piece on! Lol
By way of photos on and just off the assembly line, those cars were crudely put together with the thought that the racers would do the rest, including color coat and such. They had a lot of soul though.
Tell your Dad he was part of a special time in automobile competition, but then again, he must already know that.

The A864 and A990 cars have so many special lite weight parts that make them unique.

From lite weight body parts to an aluminum oil pump on the 65's

I would love to run across a barn find of a car with an aluminum front end!

Auto Transport Service
Back