• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best grease to use on a flat tappet cam?

chargervert

Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440 engine that was rebuilt and stored poorly. I had to take it apart,clean it and reassemble it. it has a Comp flat tappet cam,that had break in lube on it,I had to wipe the lube off it,and clean and soak the lifters. I need to relubricate the cam and lifters to break them in properly,so what would be the best lubricant for the task? There was no rust or pitting on the cam or lifters,but dust and dirt got into the grease,so I cleaned it,and everything looks good.

I used Permatex Ultra Slick, or you could always get a small packet of the Comp Cam lube.

Yep, start the process all over again. Make sure you use cam lube and a zinc supplement in your new oil.

This is what used for years. Maybe something better out there nowadays.
upload_2020-7-6_8-43-21.png

If its going to get fired up right away {2 or 3 days } I would STP it and the bearings & chain, plus drill prime it , If its going to sit for weeks use a assembly lube like the isky above or comp cams version.

CMD#3 or Joe Gibbs assembly lube.
Light springs (if needed) for break in.I am assuming you know how to break it in properly.

Joe Gibbs Driven Assembly Grease, PN#00728

griz2.jpg

Yep, start the process all over again. Make sure you use cam lube and a zinc supplement in your new oil.
Yup. Especially the zinc additive. I got caught when the oil folks removed zinc. And I of course didn't adjust. My cam lobes chewed down like a new log to a family of beavers. Now some was due to age. But im convinced lack of zinc played a big roll.

Yup. Especially the zinc additive. I got caught when the oil folks removed zinc. And I of course didn't adjust. My cam lobes chewed down like a new log to a family of beavers. Now some was due to age. But im convinced lack of zinc played a big roll.

I got a visual on that one.

I have a 440 engine that was rebuilt and stored poorly. I had to take it apart,clean it and reassemble it. it has a Comp flat tappet cam,that had break in lube on it,I had to wipe the lube off it,and clean and soak the lifters. I need to relubricate the cam and lifters to break them in properly,so what would be the best lubricant for the task? There was no rust or pitting on the cam or lifters,but dust and dirt got into the grease,so I cleaned it,and everything looks good.

https://www.redlineoil.com/assembly-lube

Auto Transport Service
Back