• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best way to identify all of the part names?

coloradodanny

Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
1970 Dodge Charger:
I’ve got her in the garage. Shop is set up. I’m ready to go. I need a great reference to all the parts names on her. There are so many! I know the basics, but I’m getting overwhelmed when I’m sourcing a part to understand all the support items needed to get the job done. Im starting with the replacement of the rear frame rails. As many of you know, this is a long road, but I’m loving every moment of it. My plan is to use my skills whenever possible and then have a pro mentor (you guys) when I’m stuck. Thank you to all who have reached out already. I’m grateful to have this b body fam on my team.

73677318-9C4A-42AE-9F2E-D6B046D5AB82.jpeg

E870FECE-89D1-4E6A-A89E-9B71F33319E8.jpeg

513DA496-F0AC-47BA-AFAB-4BC7432875DC.jpeg

3E2D3B83-7A7E-424C-904A-C08F6224CC64.jpeg

1EFD4D2F-2DCD-48C8-BB3C-D70AC5A5979A.jpeg

40D0F115-4124-4596-8837-7668A8EEAFA4.jpeg

F93163C9-585C-4270-94CE-AB6FA145C037.jpeg

7AD75AF1-9EAF-46B6-B517-95DCA9FBDB3F.jpeg

33FC12A5-BB5A-441C-8AE1-CC890C00CD18.jpeg

Get an assembly manual (hard to find), a parts manual and a factory service manual.

I don't know about the accuracy of aftermarket restoration books but folks on FBBO will know which ines are good and which to avoid.

Best of luck.

Woof, rear frame rails are toast.. be ready to open up that wallet brother. Good news is there are a lot of parts available for these 2 gen Chargers. Good luck with your new mistress :thumbsup:

Honestly, you have a LOT of work in front of you and will need more than advice. Have it towed to the AMD installation center and have it done where they have the proper jigs, every part that is available and the experience to know just how it all goes together.
It won't be cheap but it will be as right as it can get
Higher resale in the future as well.
Then you can do all the "easy" stuff like body, paint, wiring, brakes, suspension, engine, trans, interior etc...

Order everything and return what you don’t need, because you need a lot.
:drinks:

Think carefully before you start.
That car is in a bad way and would be a handful for an experienced enthusiast with all the tools and skills. Think years of work, not months.
Maybe better to sell and start with something that just needs cosmetic bodywork and some mechanical?
Just friendly advice from someone who's made similar mistakes in the past...

In all seriousness, that car is going to need to go on a frame jig to make sure everything installs nicey nice. Unless you really, really know what your doing.

What’s your skill level? This is going to take some serious auto body knowledge and welding/fab skills. And that’s just to replace what’s rusted away.

Isn't there an AMD place that has a all included price to get a solid car back?

I'm not condemning your enthusiasm one bit, BUT you have one heck of a project there. You need to access your skills and the $ it will cost to rebuild that one to determine if it is worth it to you. How good of a welder and metal fab guy are you? Mopar4Don has a restoration thread on his Charger you should read through. His was in better shape than this one, and he has been working on his for 10 years now...

Thanks for all the good advice.
I’ve been self employed for twenty years and I’m in a position where I have lots of free time. I understand the complexity of the task. My goal is to have a hobby that will give me something to do. Being young and semi retired can be a curse if you don’t stay busy. I Have a veteran body shop for all metal installs. I just want to do all the prep work. I know my car is rough but I’ve owned finished cars that someone else built and they felt soulless to me. Cool to own, but didn’t fit my personality. I also have five kids that are very excited to have this project. We’ve had Hellcats and Humvee’s, but this one is their favorite. It’s my favorite car of all time. I’m truly grateful for your responses. If I was easily scared by big task, I would’ve never stared a successful business. After all I was a high school dropout headed for prison or death. At least that’s what the adults in my life told me.

Start a poll about how many guys have ended up hating a car because of the amount of work it needed to build it. The "bond" is a great fantasy. Make the money and allow someone to do some of the work for you. Picture just getting the car back ready to do minor body work and paint. Be able to tell people in two years that you "love" your car.

Edit- While the chassis shop has it you can detail everything else and be ready to assemble it when it comes back.

Last edited:
Not sure how to find one, but a buddy showed me a parts catalog of body parts. It had exploded drawings with the parts named: i.e. I didn't know there was a rear cowl as well as a front.

Thanks for all the good advice.
I’ve been self employed for twenty years and I’m in a position where I have lots of free time. I understand the complexity of the task. My goal is to have a hobby that will give me something to do. Being young and semi retired can be a curse if you don’t stay busy. I Have a veteran body shop for all metal installs. I just want to do all the prep work. I know my car is rough but I’ve owned finished cars that someone else built and they felt soulless to me. Cool to own, but didn’t fit my personality. I also have five kids that are very excited to have this project. We’ve had Hellcats and Humvee’s, but this one is their favorite. It’s my favorite car of all time. I’m truly grateful for your responses. If I was easily scared by big task, I would’ve never stared a successful business. After all I was a high school dropout headed for prison or death. At least that’s what the adults in my life told me.

Sounds good- I saw the ultra clean garage and thought uh-oh!!

Update: I ordered the two 70 manuals recommended. She’s scheduled to go to the body shop in 2/23. Earliest available. The shop owner and I have a solid plan starting with a frame jig. With the down time, I’m going to read all I can. I’m also going to start working on my 440 and 727. I really appreciate the good advice. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back