• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the correct carb for my application

OutLawBiker

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Racers,
I have a '73 Ply Road Runner I would love to race. I need your help in choosing the right carb for my bird. This is the low down on my Road Runner-
LA 360 30 over
Erson Cam E4200421- Hot Street ET Bracket Cam - Broad power range/strong top end
Valve Lift .472 Duration 296 Hi Flow IH 106 L/C
340 X Heads 1968 model production fresh out of the machine shop
RPM Performer Edelbrock Intake Manifold
570 CFM Dual Feed Single Pump Auto Choke
727 Torque Flight Stage 2 full manual valve body w/3000 RPM Torque Converter
3rd Member is Stock 321 / 9-1/4 (soon to be replaced with ford 9" 386 posi )
I also run on public roads occasionally.
Any and all suggestions on picking out the right carb is great appreciated.
Thanks again in advance :))))))
Jackson
DIZG8303.JPG
XVAA4003.JPG

There isn't such a thing as a "correct" carb really. I wouldn't put anything less than a 750DP on that for performance, a similar VS carb will work and drive ok but it'll be crap@the hit with slicks compared. I ran an 850DP on my 340 with a .484 purple hyd., and 3500stall/3.55's, ran great at the track and street, 2/10ths faster than a 750DP that came with the car.

Last edited:
You’ll likely get a bunch of different answers.

Do you need it to have a choke?
If so, does it need to be an automatic choke?

Is there something wrong with the current carb?

You’ll likely get a bunch of different answers.

Do you need it to have a choke?
If so, does it need to be an automatic choke?

Is there something wrong with the current carb?
Hi ya,
Thanks for responding - My present 570cfm took a big crap all over my infamous patience and understanding - my expectations and mostly my time - you understand!
Yes I need a choke - auto would be nice but a manual will do.
What were you thinking my friend??

I was kidding about that.
I assumed that you lifted mine.
I've had a few for this forum, but this one is hard to give up having.
Thanks

I’ll offer that way back when I was working with my cars orig. 383, I had a couple of different Eddy carbs. They both frustrated me with a lean spot at initial throttle. I couldn’t get rid of it, not saying someone else couldn’t have, but I couldn’t. Then I went to a Holley 3310; immediate improvement across the board. Been a holley guy ever since.
PS: I’d take every bit of advice that Dwayne (PRHeads) is willing to offer.

Bio, since I'm a Holley guy, I'd say a 650 DP would work well, maybe 750 DP, or the 3310 vacuum still seems like a good baseline. The double pumpers would likely need a bit of tuning & tweeking. Double pumpers do just fine on the street with tuning.

Bio, since I'm a Holley guy, I'd say a 650 DP would work well, maybe 750 DP, or the 3310 vacuum still seems like a good baseline. The double pumpers would likely need a bit of tuning & tweeking. Double pumpers do just fine on the street with tuning.
I'm not the one asking...
I have a Promax modded Holley 6bbl setup on my Roadrunner...
Maybe it's the "running roadrunner" avatar that has you confused? I was concerned that may happen, but I'm not changing mine...
:poke: @OutLawBiker :p:D

Auto Transport Service
Back